Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,876   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking of 400UC. I've only shot one roll of 120 400UC on a seagull tlr i was given to fix. They were family shots and I had it developed and printed at A&I. The color was outstanding. How long was this film around and why did it get axed? Is 400VC close?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill;

I wish I knew the answers. I have not made a direct comparison. I used VC films almost exclusively.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Speaking of 400UC. I've only shot one roll of 120 400UC on a seagull tlr i was given to fix. They were family shots and I had it developed and printed at A&I. The color was outstanding. How long was this film around and why did it get axed? Is 400VC close?
    I wish I knew.

I have not used the 120 VC 400 that I have yet so I can't say.

When I heard that 120 UC400 was being discontinued I rushed to Samys and brought every roll they had (55 rolls) so that I could keep the film from the hoarders.

I wish that I had done the same with 120 HIE, but APUG had not gotten to me at that time. Since then APUG got to me and I process my black and white film.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Actually, I was joking, the "No Grain" comment was that each new versions has 'even finer grain' so when does it disappear completely.

I still have a few pro-packs of 100 and 400 UC in 120, saving them for another decade so I can rant about how good it was way back when in the 'aughts...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm mostly a B&W guy, but I've used some of the 160NC/VC-2. I never did get around to ordering any of the version 2 400 films (local stores don't carry it). Heck, I guess I'll just have to try 400NC-3 now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    I still have a few pro-packs of 100 and 400 UC in 120, saving them for another decade so I can rant about how good it was way back when in the 'aughts...
    RAOFLMAO - These youngens, it was afore their time, but I 'member back when gas was $3.00 per gallon!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    Actually, I was joking, the "No Grain" comment was that each new versions has 'even finer grain' so when does it disappear completely.

You will never get zero grain.

I did coatings of cast dyes which were pure dye molecules in gelatin. We measured them and they showed measurable grain. It gets down to the noise in the system.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You will never get zero grain.

I did coatings of cast dyes which were pure dye molecules in gelatin. We measured them and they showed measurable grain. It gets down to the noise in the system.

PE
    Can you say what kind of enlargement would be necessary to have visible grain clumping?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I'm just curious to see if Kodak can get its grain down to the same level as Fuji Provia 400X...which is quite frankly, incredible for a 400 ISO film. Obviously, being a negative film, the Portra won't be able to match the color saturation of the Provia, but if the grain is small enough then it could turn into a really sweet all-purpose portrait film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Can you say what kind of enlargement would be necessary to have visible grain clumping?
    Well, with the cast dye coatings, there was no 'clumping' as such. At worst, since these were sulfonic acid azo dyes, the dye would form a micelle in gelatin + water and you might be able to see that, but I think in this case we were looking at noise in the system.

As far as regular films, I have enlargements up to 16x20 from 35mm and they are remarkably clear of clumping. You can see some grain, but not what I would class as the traditional clumping I saw in films from the 50s and 60s.

However, I have a 16x20 of a blue swimming pool on Kodacolor X from the 60 and even with that uniform color, you cannot see clumping. So, it varies.

I hope that answers your question.

PE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin