Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,555   Online: 948

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

New Versions:Kodak Professional Portra 400NC and 400VC films

FYI:

NEWSLINE: Professional Markets Monday, January 07, 2008

Kodak introduces improved versions of Kodak Professional Portra 400-speed color negative films

Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester , N.Y. , is offering improved versions of its Kodak Professional Portra 400NC and 400VC films. The enhancements build on the introduction of improved Portra films in 2006. The finer grain of the Portra 400NC and 400VC films, combined with the spectacular skin tone of the entire portfolio, enable professional photographers to create striking photographs, says Kodak. The technology innovations also result in better scanning, the company adds. The new Kodak Professional Portra films will be available worldwide on a stock-turnover basis beginning in the first quarter of this year.
    ©Photo Marketing Association International

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Their website also shows the update:
    http://kodak.com/global/en/professio.../400main.jhtml

"Even finer grain." My my!

There is a Q&A about why they keep updating the film, it's a good read:
    http://kodak.com/global/plugins/acro....22.5.14&lc=en
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 01-07-2008 at 01:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very good news indeed, although it seems as if we need a "scorecard" to keep track of all the Portra revisions!

Nonetheless, I'm happy anytime there is a new or improved film being introduced. Much better than the opposite kind of news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The edge markings should be help enough for now:

Original Portra: 160NC, 160VC, 400NC, 400VC, 800
    1st Update: 160NC-2, 160VC-2, 400NC-2, 400VC-2, 800-2
    2nd Update: 400NC-3, 400VC-3

What I find really interesting is that the ISO 400 is the first one to get the bump. I'm not surprised because it's such a beautiful film for all situations, with nonexistent grain, that I can't even see the difference from the 160 at 11x14 printed on RA-4.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is great news.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought it was pretty impressive in the "old and unimproved" formulation.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wow, seriously surprised and very stoked we got an upgrade so quick. 400VC is my staple, and I'm sure glad they improved it again so fast rather than waiting. When I'm busy I can do 50-70 rolls a month, and the newer version was a great improvement over my previous film, 400UC. So, when is the 'No Grain' version going to be released?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I said before, Kodak has a dedicated team to both B&W and color film improvement. Since the teams are smaller, the improvements come along more slowly but it is taking place.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    Wow, seriously surprised and very stoked we got an upgrade so quick. 400VC is my staple, and I'm sure glad they improved it again so fast rather than waiting. When I'm busy I can do 50-70 rolls a month, and the newer version was a great improvement over my previous film, 400UC. So, when is the 'No Grain' version going to be released?
    If you re-read the OP and check out K's site - they have already been released - but availability is subject to vendor stock out of the "older" version.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    As I said before, Kodak has a dedicated team to both B&W and color film improvement. Since the teams are smaller, the improvements come along more slowly but it is taking place.

PE
    Ron,

You're being modest for your former colleagues. To come out with a new version of 400 NC/VC just one year after that last "new" version is "fast" not slow!

And I suspect, you know that!

I do hope that the film folk at K come to visit this site soon - perhaps in a "controlled" format so we can ask some serious questions without a lot of negativity.

Now, I wonder what they have in store for 160 and 800?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George;

When I was still there, they would have had maybe 9 teams. Ones on 160NC, 160VC, 160UC, 400NC, 400VC, 400UC and so on. You get the picture. Then they would all have been released at one time! So, to me the pace is slower.

PE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin