Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,299   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    UPDATE: Got a box of Type 56 today (the sepia stuff) and it has the same sticker on it ("Product Being Discontinued") that the Type 59 had. This box was from a completely different supplier so it looks like these stickers are from Polaroid, not just from individual suppliers. Polaroid has a note on their website about Type 56 being discontinued.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rats... I love that stuff....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I was just on Calumet and type 79 & 59 both have a sticker from polaroid stating its being discontinued.
    Ahhhhh.
    Just for my sanity, i checked on type 55. Ok for now. No sticker. Few.
    -ian mazursky nyc
    www.prepressexpress.com PrePress for photographers.
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The yellow stickers are from Polaroid. I had some on all the boxes of ISO 100 8x10 (I forget the type number) which I ordered direct from polaroid a while back. I'm just hoping that Type 803 lasts a little bit longer - they've increased the box price by about 30% recently which will hopefully keep it profitable for them assuming anyone can afford to buy it now

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So with all these discontinued products from Polaroid, what is left? I used type 79 almost exclusively for testing in my studio for my 4x5 Ektachrome shots, but since I never got an order of type 79 I placed with Unique photo from November of 2007, I have switched to Fuji 100fc (think that is the name) in 4x5 pack form. It produces nicer images than the Polaroid type 79 does, and is the same ISO. You would think that Polaroid would at least leave ONE color 4x5 sheet film (the individual sheets).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just checked the Polaroid shop (online USA internet store run by Polaroid)...they do not show ANY color film in 4x5 sheets or 8x10 sheets anymore.
    This is very sad..........

Shooter
    Large Format
    Recently the Polaroid website doesn't show items when they are out of stock. They just disappear. That doesn't mean they are discontinued.

59 is discontinued. That is official from Polaroid. So are 51 and 56.

The word about 79 is news to me. There was an email from Polaroid Corp which was posted in December that 79 would continue to be produced. They also promised that 55 will continue. I read on photo.net that someone got a box of 55 with a discontinuation sticker on it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amuderick View Post
    Recently the Polaroid website doesn't show items when they are out of stock. They just disappear. That doesn't mean they are discontinued.

59 is discontinued. That is official from Polaroid. So are 51 and 56.

The word about 79 is news to me. There was an email from Polaroid Corp which was posted in December that 79 would continue to be produced. They also promised that 55 will continue. I read on photo.net that someone got a box of 55 with a discontinuation sticker on it.
    Of course I don't go by just what is on the website. I also go by my personal experience. I ordered some Type 79 back in November from Unique Photo, a vendor that has always had it in stock in the past. They said they were out of stock and didn't expect delivery from Polaroid until December 15. Well, December 15 came and went, and then into January. I phoned back, and talked to my sales rep and he said they still have an outstanding Purchase Order with Polaroid for Type 79 but he has no idea when they will get it, or if Polaroid is going to ship it, ever. So I changed my order to something else. But if Polaroid is "out-of-stock" on all 4x5 color films, and I believe type 79 was the last color film in 4x5 sheets, and it has been several months now, then it doesn't bode well for future availability. Several months ago there was information where a coating facility once owned by Polaroid, and most recently doing contract manufacturing for Polaroid was closing, and all the assets were being offered for sale at auction including proprietary processes. If this was the only coating plant for Polaroids larger-format materials it could have wide-ranging consequences for not only 4x5 users, but for 8x10 and those that use the ultra-large Polaroid 24" view camera system. I wish there was clear information. As it stands, if a vendor has type 79 they will ship, but if they are out, nobody knows if there will be more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've got about half a box of 809 left. I wonder what I'll do with my 8x10" Polaroid setup when it joins the film pack holder in the graveyard of obsolete photo gear. Maybe the holders can be adapted for wetplate and the processor can be turned into a calendering press for albumen prints (though for that to work, the roller that contacts the print surface needs to move faster than the roller that moves the print through the press).
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 02-02-2008 at 09:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I've got about half a box of 809 left. I wonder what I'll do with my 8x10" Polaroid setup when it joins the film pack holder in the graveyard of obsolete photo gear. Maybe the holders can be adapted for wetplate and the processor can be turned into a calendering press for albumen prints.
    We shouldn't give up quite yet David. According to Polaroid's website, 809 and 803 are still going. But here's their list of products on their way out. Its disturbing:

664, 54, 804, 51, 53, and 56

Type 59 still doesn't show a discontinuance notice on their website.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin