Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 716

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Discontinuing Polaroid Type 59 - End of an Art Form?

Received a new box of Type 59 today. Its adorned with a yellow sticker stating that this product is being discontinued. Checked Polaroid's website, but nothing posted there yet. There was a post last month on the LF Forum alluding to this also, the information be obtained from Polaroid Customer Service.

Well, here we go again folks. Another great product with some unique artistic characteristics going away. Nothing has been said about discontinuing Type 59's brothers (669 and 809) but I sure liked working with the individual 4x5 sheets. Type 669 is still very affordable but since it is a pack film, its kind of a hindrance for taking emulsion transfer shots in the field. Type 809 is hugely expensive.

Time for a cry and a stock-up!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Who's sticker was it? Could have still been the place you got it from?
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Who's sticker was it? Could have still been the place you got it from?
    The sticker implies that it came from Polaroid because it has their website address on it. However, I suppose it is possible that the retailer could have affixed the sticker. So, I can't say with certainty that the sticker came from Polaroid.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked B&H website, it does not say discontinued! By the way why in the passed few years
    Polaroid films became so expensive?
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked the Polaroid site. They still have the T-59 information with no mention of discontinuance.... but there is none in the Polaroid on-line store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just checked the newsletter from Kathleen T Carr from Oct 31 of last year and in it she mentions that due to decline, that Type 59 has been discountinued. She does mention that Type 669 would continue as it is still used for passport photos.

My thoughts are it is true, but a call/email to Polaroid would indeed confirm this sad news. However, I find it good news that 669 will continue and Type 59 should still be available for a few more months.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hovig View Post
    I just checked B&H website, it does not say discontinued! By the way why in the passed few years
    Polaroid films became so expensive?
    1) B&H's web site has a history of errors and omission of data. Citing it as a source is like citing Wikipedia... (And B&H is not alone in this by any means)

2) Polaroid film is getting expensive because of manufacturing cost, material cost, labor cost and a diminishing market.

BUY MORE FILM!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I gotta say, it's a bit sad when companies communicate to us via stickers...if it is indeed true, I'm sad to see it go. I've seen some very nice work done with it in the past.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Pinhole

It's true...

Our supply manager at the school store informed me he had just ordered the last remaining 5 boxes of Polaroid Type 59 from his supplier, it is dated to expire September 2008. His supplier has informed him the product is discontinued and will no longer be available for purchase.

Another sad January for Polaroid enthusiasts, they yanked SX-70 January 2006 correct? I know it was cold outside...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Polaroid film in a 600 & 636, also for my Mamiya back (RB67.) I hope I'm not affected.

Those who know, shoot film

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin