Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,028   Online: 728

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Rohen Enlargers are still in business.
    They are condenser enlargers, with the possibility to adapt a color or a meograde head from meopta. I own one and it's great.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    What size are you looking for?

Ed
    6x6 and capable of 16x16 enlargements. Sturdy and precise and professional standard. Would consider secondhand of course.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I wouldn't consider anything but second hand. Too many enlargers going to rust in the world. In 1976 I bought my beseler 45mxt from an old timer going out of business. He had been using it for many years. I have been using it ever since. In 1990 I decided to buy a new Beseler 45 mxt because I thought there was a good chance the motor would go bad in my old one. Now 2008 about a million prints later my new black one from 1990 still sits unused. My old grey Beseler still cranks up and down everyday and still sits solid and still is square and level. My condensor head is mostly a piece of sculpture but it still is ready for action.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    Meopta are no longer made but there are plenty of them in stock so you'll find them for a while.
    Durst has ceased to manufacture a lot of models, concentrating in the Lambda printers, but I wonder if the 1200 is still availlable. (a beast !)
    Odyssey sales in Great Britain may still produce the De Vere, and you may still find the German Dunco.
    I second the advice about Kienzle they made a clone of the Leitz Focomat II (it was designed by them, I think) and some larger size.
    Reinhel may still be in business but these are large and heavy "things" for large format...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a quick look at the Kienzle enlargers, there seems to be quite a lot of models. So I'm not quite sure which models to single out and research for possible problems.

I would lean towards the Omega enlargers as they appear to be straightforward and well built. The D2 range recommended? The only pitfall is that they are not too plentiful in the UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're in the UK then why not an European model? Devere etc?

Omega made fine serviceable enlargers but they weren't better then Devere or Durst. It's one thing in North America where parts and the enlargers are almost free for the asking but why get the headache of a rare unit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too vote for looking for a good used enlarger, my 30 year old Devere 504 with Condenser head was a birthday present last year. My brother got it off a lab that was phasing out it's old equipment.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would definitely look for something used. You can easily (in my experience) find enlarger in great working condition that will provide you with years (decades? centuries?) of use for pennies on the dollar.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesGiralt View Post
    Hi !
    Meopta are no longer made but there are plenty of them in stock so you'll find them for a while.
    Has Meopta really ceased production of their enlargers? Too bad if that's the case.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Has Meopta really ceased production of their enlargers? Too bad if that's the case.
    It's not clear. I recently made enquiries about buying a Meograde head for my Meopta Opemus enlarger. The supplier said that no heads had been available from Meopta in the last 18 months, but they had been told that production had not permanently ceased.

Possibly Meopta are going to produce small production runs as and when the supply chain empties and there is a market to sell them to. FWIW, Meopta's web site still includes enlargers under the products section.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin