Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,916   Online: 1184

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Meopta out of enlarger business

As far as I know it, from the source when I put the question to Meopta about their production:

"Dear Mr Axelsson,

It is true that we have stopped the production of photo enlargers and
    accessories.
    We still have some stock, so we are continuing to sell them.

Best regards,
    Antonin Smid
    Meopta-optika, s.r.o."

Just FYI. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, only passing on the information.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad, but hardly surprising.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Uhner View Post
    Too bad, but hardly surprising.
    Of course it is not surprising. Look here at apug and all the other analogue photo forums worldwide: If a newbie ask for equipment, all say "buy second hand, because it's so cheap". If someone recommends buying new equipment, all the others say "you are an idiot".

If we want manufacturers staying alive, it is necessary to buy new equipment from the manufacturer. Same with cameras. The second hand market and our behavier is the death of most of our manufacturers. Nobody wants to hear that truth, I know.

Regards,
    Jana

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JanaM View Post
    Of course it is not surprising. Look here at apug and all the other analogue photo forums worldwide: If a newbie ask for equipment, all say "buy second hand, because it's so cheap". If someone recommends buying new equipment, all the others say "you are an idiot".

If we want manufacturers staying alive, it is necessary to buy new equipment from the manufacturer. Same with cameras. The second hand market and our behavier is the death of most of our manufacturers. Nobody wants to hear that truth, I know.

Regards,
    Jana
    While I agree with you, the marketplace works that way for eveything. The basic motto of "if you can get it cheaper, great!" is the reason so many companies, not just film and camera ones, have declined or ceased to exist. Part of it too can be blamed it on our throwaway society where it's also cheaper to replace than repair, and THAT is a manufacturer-created fault.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Regards,
    Jana

True.

There are some manufacturers of enlargers still producing them, like Kienzle and enlargers made under Kaiser name, but if Meopta, whose new enlargers are cheaper then others, went out of business, I am afraid others will too, sooner or later.

Unless we change ourselves and start to buy new...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    While I agree with you, the marketplace works that way for eveything. The basic motto of "if you can get it cheaper, great!" is the reason so many companies, not just film and camera ones, have declined or ceased to exist...
    So people start to whining: "Why do you buy Chinese clothing or Japanese cars, buy our products, if you dont buy them I will be out of business". And later that day, same person who are telling this, go and buy something made out of his/hers country because it is cheaper...

Then again, you can't compare someone like me, to me new enlarger costs one or two of mine monthly sallaries, with someone who pay for same new enlarger 1/3 or 1/4 of his/hers monthly sallary...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    While I agree with you, the marketplace works that way for eveything. The basic motto of "if you can get it cheaper, great!" is the reason so many companies, not just film and camera ones, have declined or ceased to exist. Part of it too can be blamed it on our throwaway society where it's also cheaper to replace than repair, and THAT is a manufacturer-created fault.
    That's very correct and not only for second hand versus new equipment.

I'm currently in the market for a Gitzo 1500 MK2 series tripod.
    Local (not so small) store says 499 Euro, 40Km away, a bigger store quotes 414 Euro.
    If I cross the border to Holland, it will only cost me 311 Euro. They will ship it to me for 20 Euro extra.
    Neighbouring countries France and Germany sometimes even have higher prices than in Belgium for this product!

Tax on new goods is 21% versus 19% in Holland (The Netherlands) and even when I can deduct taxes, it still remains a huge difference and I can't imagine where this difference comes from.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is too bad to hear about Meopta. Some of their enlarging lenses are fantastic, and my dad uses their enlargers and is very pleased with them. He actually bought his new, while I am a bandit buying used (I can't afford anything else, it's the only way I can practice this craft).
    Thanks for being the bearer of such bad news, Jerevan.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post

Tax on new goods is 21% versus 19% in Holland (The Netherlands) and even when I can deduct taxes, it still remains a huge difference and I can't imagine where this difference comes from.

G

Earning. I sell same product as you, but I want to earn 30%, and you want to earn 15% from it. There is reason why in Germany average sallary is 3.000 EUROS per month, and in Italy only 1.500.

Thing is, if these 30% go to bigger sallaries to employees or more employees so they have less working hours, I wouldn't mind to buy there. But, it usually go to 70.000 EUROS Mercedes instead of 30.000 EUROS Passat for owner of that shop

Shooter
    35mm

Although there's some truth to what you say, consider this: If people who start with darkroom photography today bought new enlargers, then the used ones on eBay would go unsold, and their next stop would be the landfill. From a broader environmental point of view, it makes more sense to continue using these old enlargers than to throw them away and build new ones. Looking on a few more years, this is likely to create supply problems in another decade or two, when equipment runs out and the supply of used equipment dries up; however, enlargers aren't exactly high-tech, so I expect that somebody will begin making replacement parts and/or new enlargers at that time, if there's sufficient demand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin