Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,072   Online: 940

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great site, for sure.

Ilford SFX 120 for $15 a roll ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I often buy slow speed colour film from the Lomo Shop. Their 35mm colour package options, especially for slide, are quite good value. I also like that they encourage home developing and sell developing kits.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Yes, in this case. You want film to survive in the next generation? Make it fashionable with fashionable prices. Lomo is flourishing, while local photo film shops are going under or going 100% digital.

Film OEMs are dwindling products and 3rd party OEMs make poor quality products. Is that better so you can get cheap film? Like I said about camera manufacturers in another thread, film and film products and accessories has to now be marketed as a luxury, only then will it survive and actually grow. Market it as cheap, and well, most people don't desire cheap.

Regards, Art.
    Very much wrong, actually.

The uptake in digital photography was driven by the (rather-mistaken) belief that going digital was cheaper because it removed the need to constantly purchase consumables. As the prices of digital cameras decreased, the market penetration increased.

Clearly, the US and Canada are on the brink of recession. Who knows what other nations else may follow. What was once considered "cheap" may be viewed in much more favorable terms as "inexpensive" and, therefore, more enticing to consumers.

Let's not kid ourselves - we all have a price above which we will not or cannot pay for film. I have no desire to see that limit tested.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As much as I like film, I'm not willing to pay "any" price to use it. If the future of film is "boutique" pricing, then I may have to rethink how much film I plan to use.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Clearly, the US and Canada are on the brink of recession
    Actually there is no evidence that Canada is anywhere near going into a recession. Having said that, I tend to agree with the view that analog users will be obliged to pay higher prices for new film/paper/chemicals etc. in the future. Smaller companies producing a smaller volume of new products will inevitably mean higher prices.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin