Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,488   Online: 1221

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Polaroid Discontinued--Boston Globe 02/08/08

Hi all--
    I just received some news that is not good. In the Boston Globe tomorrow (Friday the 8th) there will be an article that will contain the announcement that Polaroid is ceasing all film products. That is all I know right now, so make sure to check the Boston Globe tomorrow for the full story (which I can only hope will not be as bad as it sounds.) This is meant as a heads up to watch for the full story...I know nothing else. I hope this is not viewed as a thread that should not be started, I just wanted to get the info out there.
    Adios,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Whatever the news from Polaroid may be, I hope the article is available on line. If someone could post a link to it, if it materializes, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Whatever the news from Polaroid may be, I hope the article is available on line. If someone could post a link to it, if it materializes, I would greatly appreciate it.
    The Boston Globe has a pretty good online edition

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/?p1=GN_TodaysGlobe

Keeping fingers and a bunch of other limbs crossed

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone please say "April Fools"
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    Polaroid is ceasing all film products, and the anouncement is to be made in the "Boston Globe"? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Polaroid is ceasing all film products, and the anouncement is to be made in the "Boston Globe"? WTF?
    Polaroid's based in Waltham Mass -- that's why, I guess. I bet it'll be in a few other papers as well, Actually, I hope it's in NO papers and is not true!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    Polaroid's based in Waltham Mass -- that's why, I guess. I bet it'll be in a few other papers as well, Actually, I hope it's in NO papers and is not true!

Well, maybe that makes some kind of sense, but I'll be pissed... I just got another 545 holder! Polaroid has always been very good about notices concerning thier products. I hope they don't pull a Kodak.

Shooter
    Large Format
    http://www.boston.com/business/techn...aying_off_150/

The nut grafs:

"The Norwood plant is shutting down, and we will soon be winding down activities at the Waltham facility as well," said Kyle MacDonald, senior vice president of Polaroid's instant photography business segment. The closures, set for completion during this quarter, will eliminate about 150 jobs. In the late 1970s, Polaroid employed about 15,000 in Massachusetts.

The Norwood and Waltham plants make large-format films used by professional photographers and artists. Polaroid also makes professional-grade films in Mexico, and its consumer film packs come from a factory in the Netherlands. All these plants are slated for closure this year. Polaroid chief operating officer Tom Beaudoin said the company is interested in licensing its technology to an outside firm that could manufacture film for faithful Polaroid customers. If that doesn't happen, Polaroid users would have to find an alternative photo technology, as the company plans to make only enough film to last into next year.

Polaroid has already quietly halted production of instant cameras. "We stopped making commercial-type cameras about 18 to 24 months ago, and we stopped making consumer cameras about a year ago," said Beaudoin.

Shooter
    35mm
    If that doesn't happen, Polaroid users would have to find an alternative photo technology...

Sounds like a sh*^ deal to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

So is Polaroid closing?

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin