Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,478   Online: 967

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Instant

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Interesting thing I found the other day - on MegaPerls they actually *have* FP-100C in 4x5 format (FP-100C45) - so, it appears to be a Japan-only product (as well as FP-100B45 and an FP-500B45, which doesn't seem to be available in regular pack size). I wonder if that had to do with their licensing agreement with Polaroid - otherwise that seems a waste not to sell in the rest of the world.
    Is that FP100C45 not the pack-film version in 4x5? That is indeed readily available - it's the single-sheet versions which are sadly missing from the lineup. That is definitely very interesting though, as I've never heard of FP400B or FP500B before, and I didn't think FP100B was available in 4x5 - so it certainly looks like Fuji have capacity for producing instant films beyond the limited amount currently available 'over here'. Which has to be good news for us in a post-Polaroid world...

Wayne - my copy of the Fuji professional dataguide lists the reciprocity characteristics of FP100C/FP100C-Silk (love the silk version) as follows:

Exposure time - Exposure correction - Colour correction
    1/1000 - NA - NA
    1/100 - NA - NA
    1/10 - NA - NA
    1 - +2/3 stop - 5R
    4 - +1 stop - 5Y+7.5R
    8 - +1.5 stops - 5Y+7.5R
    16 - 2 stops - 7.5Y+12.5R

I am now slightly confused, as the version of the guide which I googled-up in order to put a link in here shows different numbers... (I was looking at the version which I have safely stored on my computer for reference.)

I'll see if I can work out which one is out-of-date...
    Last edited by tim_walls; 02-19-2008 at 11:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Confusion with Fuji dataguide!
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    B&H shows FP100C as in stock in 4x5 packs--

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ant_Color.html

Megaperls is showing films like FP400B and FP500B, which I haven't seen in the US.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, since there seems to be some confusion here.

Readily available 'over here' Fuji instant films:
    FP100C in medium format pack film and 4x5 pack film.
    FP100B in medium format pack film.
    FP3000B in medium format pack film and 4x5 pack film.

Apparently available in Japan but not here:
    FP100B in 4x5 pack film.
    FP400B in various formats.
    FP500B in various formats.

Not available anywhere because they don't make it as far as I can tell:
    Anything in 4x5 single sheet form (i.e. Polaroid 545-style single sheets.)

Oh, and the Fuji dataguide can be found here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just to clear up any confusion the film Fuji calls FP100c45, is the 4x5 ISO 100 color pack film, comes in 10 exposure film packs to fit 4x5 film pack holders as made by Fuji and Polaroid. If it doesn't have the "45" digits at the end of the item number, then it is not the 4x5 size pack film. It indeed is far better color and consistency than current Polaroid stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    More questions. Does the B&W produce a negative? is it any good?
    There is no separable negative like you get with 55 or 665.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    What are the exposure characteristics of these films? Are the 100s true 100s? I understand the color is more tolerant of long exposures than Polaroid. True? How long?

Wayne
    The 100 stuff is 100, bang on the money in my experience. It is excellent proofing material. I have also been impressed with the colour 100, the 400, the 3000, all of them seem to rate [almost] exactly at box speed. Actually there is much less ambiguity on this than with the Polaroid films. I also found it a nuisance with polaroid to have to convert an ISO 80 proof to an ISO 100 exposure etc.

Long exposures: I have done seconds to many seconds with 400b and 3000b with no apparent problems. My attitude on that is kind of blase, though; if I don't get what I want I just dial in a longer exposure and reshoot. Matching reciprocities could be computed, in principle. Anyway I think I've done ~8 sec exposures with 3000b (pinhole!) and also some rather long, multisecond exposures with the fp100c, no problems. I don't recall trying fp100b over more than a second or two but certainly ~ 1 second should be no problem. Short answer: no guarantees, but I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. the reason to watch megaperls is that sometimes they have special deals or some unique things that haven't yet appeared in the US. We'll have to watch the prices now that the patent situation is probably in limbo; I guess Fuji may be able to supply directly to the US at lower cost now. That which can be found in the US will usually be at a lower cost than at megaperls. But for the longest time there was no fp100b45 in the US at all and I just got it through megaperls at fair cost.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    FP100C (ISO100 colour), FP100B (ISO100 B&W) and FP3000B (ISO3000 B&W) are available in 3.25x4.25" packs, suitable for medium-format Polaroid backs. (I use it in the Polaroid back for my Mamiya RB67.)
    Tim, that's all I needed to hear, thanks! -- Terry

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    Tim, that's all I needed to hear, thanks! -- Terry
    Hah, glad to be of service - yep, it works fine in the Mamiya polaroid back. I noticed someone asked for some examples in that other thread, so here are a couple of completely random ones; these were taken with the RB67 on FP100C-Silk, in Iceland last summer (forgive the dirt on the second one - shows it's real .)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iceland1-small.jpg   Iceland2-small.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Fuji materials use sigma-grain technology, their version of t-grain. It results in a much sharper B&W image with much better enlarging capability via scanning. I also agree that the Fuji prints in B&W and color are more resilient to the environment (scratches, pinholes, drying faster, etc). I mourn the loss of 4x5 sheet film. I will mourn the loss of integral material for my SX-70. But, when I opened the fridge to review my stash, I noticed that most of the boxes are green, rather than blue. Fuji instant material is great stuff! I order from B&H.

I easily enlarge my 3.25 x 4.25 pack films 3-5x with incredible results. I've posted a hybrid technique on the Flickr Polaroid group.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope that Fuji will produce 4x5 single sheet film, as Polaroid discontinues it. And while I'm hoping, I hope that they will consider making Type 55. It seems a little more realistic for Fuji to pick it up, since they are already making Polaroid-like products, compared to the slimmer chance that Ilford would do it.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin