Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,548   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Agfa-Gevaert commitment to film production

Yesterday, Agfa-Gevaert announced :

"(Agfa-Gevaert NV) will further strengthen its position as a consolidator within the industry through cost leadership and operational excellence in film manufacturing and will continue to develop innovative products for new growth areas."

While Agfa-Gevaert does not sell film directly to consumers, this is good news anyway. Rollei ATP, Superpan 200 a.o. are manufactured by Agfa-Gevaert.

http://www.agfa.com/en/co/news_event...7_CC_Q4_UK.jsp

Jacques
    Leica III, IIIa, M2 (2X), M6, MP
    Nikon F2A, F2S, FM, FM2n (2x), FT2
    Slides color + B&W - Leica Pradovit P2002

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well, there is one thing I don't understand: Agfaphoto is dead. Agfa gevaert is still alive, and coating. Agfa gevaert sells their films to rollei. So why Agfa Geavert can't keep on producing APX 100 and 400, and sells it to Rollei for the distribution? Why making a new superpan that will replace the two films? This point, clearly I don't understand !
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And they are to continue with their phased demerger in 2008, quite interesting.

Mick.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Well, there is one thing I don't understand: Agfaphoto is dead. Agfa gevaert is still alive, and coating. Agfa gevaert sells their films to rollei. So why Agfa Geavert can't keep on producing APX 100 and 400, and sells it to Rollei for the distribution? Why making a new superpan that will replace the two films? This point, clearly I don't understand !
    Superpan is not new. New is, that it is available in 35mm casettes for non-military use.
    I guess there is simply not enough demand for a film only used by artists.
    Even the new technical pan is mainly used as surveillance film by gouvernment.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format

Something I don't understand is why they simply don't continue to produce and sell APX films? Why they have to sell through Rollei at first place?
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    haris, I think this is because the plant was already manufacturing the aerial films before Agfa Photo's collapse, the APX films were made elsewhere. Even if they had the formulae they wouldn't have the experience to immediately manufacture APX type film without R&D and trials.

One problem with the repackaged Agfa-Gevaert - Rollei film is it isn't cheaper than existing Ilford, Fuji and Kodak B&W films and offers photographers no real advantages, except for a Tech Pan alternative.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    With the disinvestment of their "consumer division" in 2004 (Agfaphoto), which produced APX, Scala etc., Agfa-Gevaert decided to concentrate on 3 "business lines" : Graphics Division, Medical Division and "Special Products Division" a.k.a. "Materials division". This division makes all kinds of film for industrial and technical use, but no films for "consumer" use (i.e. both amateur and professional photographers). Industrial and technical use includes surveillance, aerial photography etc. E.g. Superpan 200 is Aviphotpan 200 (aerial film) and is basically Scala but with increased infrared sensibility... I suppose they do not restart APX-production because there is no industrial or technical use for it and they absolutely do not intend to re-enter the consumer market directly.

PS : Adox is planning to restart APX25/100/400 production. In the meantime APX100/400 is still readily available as Agfaphoto APX100/400 and Rollei Retro 100/400.

Jacques

Jacques
    Leica III, IIIa, M2 (2X), M6, MP
    Nikon F2A, F2S, FM, FM2n (2x), FT2
    Slides color + B&W - Leica Pradovit P2002

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think they might be avoiding some legal (potentially) grey area concerning the old product names, and the usage of the AGFAPhoto name. Probably not too surprising to re-cut some existing aerial products for limited 35mm usage. While not really the AGFA of the past, it is nice to see they are doing this.

The supply of APX100 is far from exhausted. Also, the Rollei Retro 100 is quite easy to get, despite the price. It would make no economic sense to re-introduce APX100 simply to compete with existing supply, or to compete with Rollei . . . after all Rollei got the APX film from AGFA; wouldn't they be pissed if AGFA suddenly re-introduced APX100 and competed with them directly . . . in other words, what would be the point?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    I think they might be avoiding some legal (potentially) grey area concerning the old product names, and the usage of the AGFAPhoto name.
    Seen all that hazzle about the rights on the brand `AgfaPhoto´ I wonder if any of the parties involved really knows who has got the rights of former Agfa-Gevaert AG (Leverkusen) product names or even formulas...

Shooter
    Medium Format

APX films

it´s not so much a matter of rights or know how.
    It´s simply a matter of actually geting down to it. Putting the money on the table and starting a production.

Agfa Belgium is operating in very large markets. Coating a bit more of an exisiting product and selling the surplus into the consumer market through another company is an easy job. It does not cost anything and helps controling overhead costs. This is interesting business to Agfa. Going through all the effort of reintroducing products formerly made in Leverkusen isn´t exactly what they see as their job.

At least this is the impression I have. We at ADOX are trying hard to make things work only in the consumer market because we want to provide products for a long term without beeing dependant on other markets with an uncertain future.
    Who needs traffic surveillance, printing house or X-Ray film 10 years from now ?

As for right now it is impossible to compete against the stock Agfa Leverkusen left behind. So anyone putting out a similar or identical film will have a tough time with current base and silver prices.

We are trying to shedule our projects to hit the right timeframe to be ready to go when stocks run out.

Best regards,

Mirko

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin