Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,795   Online: 1197

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Paul Verizzo;665035]Reminds me of the classic movie scene of soldiers lined up and being asked to volunteer for a deadly mission. Everyone except one doofus steps back.
    QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind words.

If you think it's Kodak, fine. I'd like to see a more detailed test and I'd like to know why FS isn't saying who makes the film. They've always been very good re: rebranding questions in the past.
    Last edited by jim appleyard; 08-09-2008 at 02:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=jim appleyard;665097]
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    Reminds me of the classic movie scene of soldiers lined up and being asked to volunteer for a deadly mission. Everyone except one doofus steps back.
    QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind words.

If you think it's Kodak, fine. I'd like to see a more detailed test and I'd like to know why FS isn't saying who makes the film. They've always been very good re: rebranding questions in the past.
    Oh for Pete's sake, I wouldn't say such a thing implying you are a doofus. No, just that whomever does it is the unappreciated hero. I'm too old and way beyond calling people names. Sorry if you thought I was.

As to the second paragraph, reread my post.

Shooter
    35mm
    So far through real world tests, see Arista 400P photos here, we have established that the 400 film behaves a lot like Tri-X, producing very usable results in D76H and Diafine. I am planning to test it in Rodinal, but that test will be delayed by a week's worth of relatives visiting. I have the 100 on order and plan to repeat the tests with it. If somebody wants to break out a densitometer that is fine. I am more interested in real world tests because I usually do not photograph with a densitometer. I am planning to switch to the 400 speed version as my main B&W film because it produces images that suit my vision of what I want in my photos. That is the most important test to me.

Yes, I would love to see these same films in 120 and 4x5. So far, I know I would buy the 400.

~Steve

PS - I promise not to stray too much from the topic of this thread!
    Last edited by ssloansjca; 08-09-2008 at 05:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add link and info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I hope this stuff is indeed PX & TX. However, we can do all the shooting and looking we want, but what we need is a scientific test. Arista 100 & 400 shot in identical light along with PX & TX and all souped in the same dev for the same time with the same agitation and then given densitometer and possibly other tests to see how closely they match.

Has anyone does this? Do they want to do it?
    This is exactly what I said in the previous post.

I will be doing it as soon as I can! I will have to wait for the pre-loaded cassettes, though. I also need to get my loaned-out MacBeth chart back, if I can. I might need to buy a new one.

Medium format....we can all hope and dream, but no luck so far. Medium format film is so cheap already that it is probably not worth anyone's (meaning Kodak's or Freestyle's) while.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-09-2008 at 06:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I e-mailed Freestyle about this film a couple of weeks ago. They only told me that it is made in the USA. AFAIK the only company making B&W film in the USA is Kodak, so everyone can draw their own conclusions...

I also asked about 120-format. They said that their plans are to carry this film in 35mm only (no 120 or large-format).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My guess is that it is indeed Kodak film and Kodak has told Freestyle not to specify the film's origin. Kodak has historically not been in the business of supplying film to others, except under the Kodak name.

If it is something different, that's no bad thing. I'm always game to play with new emulsions. Just about every emulsion has something going for it that makes it interesting to play with.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am really glad to see that FS is selling these films at such good prices. It appears that the film is quite good. I am definitely going to try it. It's always great to see new BW products on the market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

I also asked about 120-format. They said that their plans are to carry this film in 35mm only (no 120 or large-format).
    Which makes me wonder if it's a Kodak movie film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Which makes me wonder if it's a Kodak movie film.
    Kodak only makes two B&W 35mm movie films. One is 5231, Plus-X, and the other is 5222, XX. While the 5231 could, in theory, fill the role of the Arista 100, there is no 400 or even close equivalent.

5231 is rated 80 EI IIRC, but there is a lot of success at 100-125 on the net. It has the same RMS granualarity as the still image PX, 10.

Movie films are used with D-96 and a print film, all having different H&D curves from still image PX. The Massive Development Chart has a contributed (since Kodak doesn't supply D-76 times) D-76 time of 7 minutes. That's a lot different than the still PX of 5.5.
    Last edited by Paul Verizzo; 08-10-2008 at 11:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That lower speed is the movie rating system isn't it? Not the still ISO number. Or am I remembering wrong?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin