Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,554   Online: 813

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

There is no "movie rating" AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    That lower speed is the movie rating system isn't it? Not the still ISO number. Or am I remembering wrong?
    They tend to use incident light readings, but other than that, it's just like still. Now, having said that, just like still they work their media taking into account the developing and printing process. Prints means movie stock.

Shooter
    35mm
    If it is a movie stock, it lacks a rem-jet backing. Or is it only color motion picture film that has that?

~Steve Sloan
    Last edited by ssloansjca; 08-10-2008 at 02:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Expand thought

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    I will reiterate an observation of mine from the old thread that I will not find it logical to buy 100' rolls - which is what I almost always do. The cost difference, $6, for 18 rolls of 36 exposure says my time is worth that much.
    Bulk isn't just cheaper, 100' cans are easier to store in the fridge/freezer. I've got way more bulk film in the freezer than I could have room for if it were boxed rolls. But those boxed rolls are pretty cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the advantage of bulk cost wise is you can load the number of frames you need rather than just shooting up the whole roll. I have some recently acquired RF cameras that I would prefer to load up, say, 12x just to test the basics out.

If you combine the 20x + 36x prices, the bulk is way cheaper. Then again, if only shooting 36x, then saving 17% maybe is not enough.

Its nice to have both as a choice.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ssloansjca View Post
    If it is a movie stock, it lacks a rem-jet backing. Or is it only color motion picture film that has that?

~Steve Sloan
    Only color negative.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak used to sell 100' at 29.99 at B&H and Adorama. That film was Trix made in USA for international market. The USA made for USA was selling at $44.99. a few years ago they stopped selling them and that was the time I started to try foma and forte. I don't know if the Aristra premium 400 film is indeed a left over stock? or kodak decided to re-label that intentional version.
    freestyle has marked the 36exp roll quite low -- at 1.99. the 100' can make about 18 36-exp rolls -- that brings each roll = 1.67.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    Only color negative.
    Right, and if this was movie stock we could tell by the sprocket holes, rounded ends vs. square. Sounds to me like Kodak has some excess inventory and they want to move it before it just becomes waste. (wouldn't it be great to get some of that to play with?) So this deal may not last too long. Nice to have a lower price option though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is made by PhotoEngineer in his basement late at night.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Right, and if this was movie stock we could tell by the sprocket holes, rounded ends vs. square. Sounds to me like Kodak has some excess inventory and they want to move it before it just becomes waste. (wouldn't it be great to get some of that to play with?) So this deal may not last too long. Nice to have a lower price option though.
    There is no way that a smart company like Freestyle would ramp up a whole new film line for a limited overstock. Would you?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto View Post
    Kodak used to sell 100' at 29.99 at B&H and Adorama. That film was Trix made in USA for international market. The USA made for USA was selling at $44.99. a few years ago they stopped selling them and that was the time I started to try foma and forte. I don't know if the Aristra premium 400 film is indeed a left over stock? or kodak decided to re-label that intentional version.
    freestyle has marked the 36exp roll quite low -- at 1.99. the 100' can make about 18 36-exp rolls -- that brings each roll = 1.67.
    B&H and other NY vendors have long re-imported Kodak films as gray market. I don't know enough about the market system, but my take is that film is cheaper in some markets and despite flying it two ways, it still is cheaper to import back.

I think it's not unlike pharmaceuticals; the manufacturers will charge what the market will bear. My father takes aracept for his Alzheimer's. No generic is available here. We pay about $60 for 90 days, but the $600 cost counts against his Medicare Part D. Screw that, we just ordered 90 days generic from Canada for $82, no Part D hit.

Sorry for the rant.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin