Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,632   Online: 1325

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The Arista 400 I got had an expiration date of Feb 2011, so it appears to be very Fresh stock, not left over.

~Steve Sloan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was speculating that this may be excess stock, not left over, given the current demand for film vs. the volume of material Kodak has to produce in order to keep their lines running as they like. Someone else said just as much in the previous thread. My fault if I wasn't clear. This could be a very large amount of film, enough to keep Freestyle customers well stocked for some time to come. Kodak may be out of the film business all together long before the stock runs out, look how much APX 400 is still around with (somewhat suspicious) expiration dates still safely in the future. I wonder what this means for Kodak's plans, maybe it is a smart adjustment to a changing market, hard to say. Ilford did this with FS for years and then new management determined that the practice was just cannibalizing their own market. Forte did this too, and look where they are.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Grey market Kodak film has faded away for two reasons.

The first is that Kodak was making it hard for the grey market importers, threatening to cut off their domestic supplies, which the sellers could not afford to have happen. (Professionals don't buy grey market film, too much is on the line for them.) Also, they have done more branding games, selling the same film under different brand names in different countries.

The second, and now more important, is exchange rates. The dollar is feeble, the Euro and Pound are strong. Kodak used to sell films at higher margins in the US, and at lower margins in countries with weak currencies, since that was all the market could bear. So folks would import the film from the weak currency countries back to the US. Well, now it's the other way around. Many manufacturers now have to accept low margins in the US, and profit from high margins in the strong European economy. The grey market has turned around. Been shopping downtown in any major east coast US city recently? You'll see a lot of Euro-tourists taking advantage of the fantastic deals that they can get in the US. (OK, so they are also dodging their 17-20% VAT taxes. But that's only part of it now.) I work next door to the Cambridgeside Galleria, the closest shopping mall to downtown Boston, which is on public transit, and I've seen and heard lots of Europeans there all summer. There was also a burst of them shopping here last December.

While oil, and all the other raw materials Kodak uses, may nominally be priced in dollars, in reality they are priced in terms of buying power. As the buying power of the US Dollar continues to drop, the prices of these raw ingredients in US Dollars keeps surging. Silver was $9 at the start of 2006, it's now just shy of $18. The US Dollar will continue to drop until we stop borrowing so much money, which everyone knows will be paid back in much inflated dollars.

Shooter
    35mm
    John, thanks for that enlightening (and logical) explanation for what's been going on.

I think the average American hasn't a clue how the free falling dollar has impacted them. They see the high prices at the gas pumps, yet can't put two and two together. Oil is paid for in dollars, the dollar is almost worthless, ergo, a lot of dollars to pay for that imported oil.

Shooter
    35mm
    So, has anybody exposed any of the Arista 100 yet?

~Steve Sloan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When are the film edge marking added to a film run, during the coating or post production? I have seen rebranded color film with Fuji or Konica edge lables and other with none or the rebrand such as Memo or Samsumg. If film is edged marked during the coating then this run is not just simply an overrun being sold off.

Shooter
    35mm

100 speed 24 & 36 carts now in stock!

Who will be the guinea pig?

I just blew my Freestyle budget a couple of weeks ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will be the Guinea pig. I just need to get paid first. This means that someone else will probably beat me to it.

I will compare and contrast zone I speed, color response, and resolution.

I don't think I will be getting my MacBeth chart back any time soon, so I will probably just shoot a row of colored markers.

Samy's and Freestyle claim they do not have MacBeth charts. I can find them bundled with scanner calibration tools, but not loose. Does anyone know where I can buy the chart alone?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&H has the charts. I think you can also get them direct from MacBeth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...cker_Card.html

Holy spectral sensitivity, Erik Man! Seventy bucks! I paid nowhere near that much for mine! I am just gonna shoot some kids' markers.

Thanks, Erik. It was not listed as a MacBeth chart, but an Xrite.

BTW, I just dropped your post card in the mail yesterday. You should have it soon.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin