Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,933   Online: 1176

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, those things are crazy expensive. The "mini" size is even more. For the testing you are doing you don't really need it, spend the cash on more film. I forgot about the name change, I think there was a merger or something.

Looking forward to getting your postcard. Those cards are pretty much the only good reason for checking the mail these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    When are the film edge marking added to a film run, during the coating or post production? I have seen rebranded color film with Fuji or Konica edge lables and other with none or the rebrand such as Memo or Samsumg. If film is edged marked during the coating then this run is not just simply an overrun being sold off.
    I think that stuff goes on, or is burned on, at the end, when the film is slit from the master rolls and finished. I remember when Freestyle was selling Ilford stuff as "England's Finest" it didn't have any Ilford markings but it was in every way the same as FP-4. At the time Freestyle wasn't saying it was Ilford either. Man, did I shoot a boat load of that stuff in 120. Great price in bulk. Me and a buddy would get a 100 rolls or more at a time to get the quantity discount. Them were the days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    I think that stuff goes on, or is burned on, at the end, when the film is slit from the master rolls and finished. I remember when Freestyle was selling Ilford stuff as "England's Finest" it didn't have any Ilford markings but it was in every way the same as FP-4. At the time Freestyle wasn't saying it was Ilford either. Man, did I shoot a boat load of that stuff in 120. Great price in bulk. Me and a buddy would get a 100 rolls or more at a time to get the quantity discount. Them were the days.
    So it may overstock that was sitting in master rolls rather than manufacoted to Freestyle Specs.

Shooter
    35mm
    I distinctly recall a description I read here (I think posted by PE) about how Kodak uses an infrared scanning system to detect defects in master rolls. The defect locations are fed into a piece of software that then computes the optimum way to cut the master roll to produce rolls of desired formats and lengths with minimal waste -- say, x 24-exposure rolls, y 36-exposure rolls, z 100-foot rolls, and a certain amount lost to the coating defects. Obviously this won't work if the master roll has edge markings already printed on it. The edge markings could conceivably be done either before or after slitting, but it would have to be done after defect detection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I distinctly recall a description I read here (I think posted by PE) about how Kodak uses an infrared scanning system to detect defects in master rolls.
    I wonder how they scan the IR films? :rolleyes:

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Photo Engineer made a comment about scanning of IR films in a thread I started (I think) about HIE and anti-halation dyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if this film is Kodak or not, much less whether its PlusX and TriX. I'm very interested to see what the test results are.

But I have to doubt that Freestyle would devote the name "Arista Premium" to an emulsion that was simply overstock. I would expect that they anticipate a reasonably long term supply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes that sounds right cause the word Premium should not be taken lightly. The Arista II and EDU can go out of our language really fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, when do we get Arista Super-Dooper?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe that Freestyle has been watching APUG posts for the last 5 yrs ( If APUG was alive 5yrs ago) and decided to make a film that will make EVERYONE happy. A film for all conditions and speed that we need as well as a film that you just need water to develop. ...... then I woke up !!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin