Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,664   Online: 1027

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been using Walmart for my C41 rolls of 120/220. Fuji lab used to pick up the films 3 times a week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday at my local Walmart here in Denver suburb. Turnaround time used to be ~ 2 weeks or less. Lately, the turnaround time has gotten worse. I was dropping off a roll yesterday and the Walmart guy informed me that Fuji lab has cut down on the number of days they pick up or drop off the processed films. Now they are picking up 2 days a week: Wednesday and Friday. What a shame!

The actual days may vary from place to place. But can someone else verify if this is a local phenomenon or if Fuji lab is actually cutting down on Walmart pickup frequency?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    I have been using Walmart for my C41 rolls of 120/220. Fuji lab used to pick up the films 3 times a week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday at my local Walmart here in Denver suburb. Turnaround time used to be ~ 2 weeks or less. Lately, the turnaround time has gotten worse. I was dropping off a roll yesterday and the Walmart guy informed me that Fuji lab has cut down on the number of days they pick up or drop off the processed films. Now they are picking up 2 days a week: Wednesday and Friday. What a shame!

The actual days may vary from place to place. But can someone else verify if this is a local phenomenon or if Fuji lab is actually cutting down on Walmart pickup frequency?
    It's not just local. Fuji has completely revamped their film processing service, cutting their nationwide system of labs to a single lab in (IIRC) North Carolina. They have also discontinued several subcontracting services via Dwayne's, including all motion picture developing. The problem is that if 35mm C-41 goes to a one week turnaround, people will not be inclined to wait, especially seeing as how digital is instant.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been awhile since I had done a roll of 35mm color and when dropping one off at Walmart yesterday, was told that the local store wasn't doing negatives any more and there was a one week turnaround for sending out. I was fortunate as my small town Walmart had a very engaged German woman who was meticulous in managing the photo department and the results were as good as I got through any lab, pro or not. You city folk have some options, (though dwindling, I'm sure) but I live in a small city <10,000 with few alternatives. I never cared much for the send-out results from Fuji so I'll need to start a search for alternatives.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    It's been awhile since I had done a roll of 35mm color and when dropping one off at Walmart yesterday, was told that the local store wasn't doing negatives any more and there was a one week turnaround for sending out. I was fortunate as my small town Walmart had a very engaged German woman who was meticulous in managing the photo department and the results were as good as I got through any lab, pro or not. You city folk have some options, (though dwindling, I'm sure) but I live in a small city <10,000 with few alternatives. I never cared much for the send-out results from Fuji so I'll need to start a search for alternatives.
    I understand your pain, small towns have less options these days. But believe me the big cities are not that better off.

While you are searching for options for your 35mm C41 processing, do consider mpix.com. I have no affiliation with them and I have started using their 35mm film processing recently. I highly recommend their service. You sign up for an account at their website, request their film mailers and send your 35mm film in. They process the negatives and notify you by email. You can only view the thumbnails after you unlock and pay for the processing ($0.19 x frames) and they mail you the negatives. You can order prints of the pictures you like. Turnaround time is excellent (~1 day) as long as the film gets to them quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree. I also live in a VERY small town with no developing (color) options. I have a pro account with Millers (which is the pro side of Mpix) and their work is more than adequate for me. Fedex gets my negs to them next day with same day turnaround ... so I'll have scans/prints in two days! CAn't even seem to get that done myself at home so fast! I do hate scanning, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    I understand your pain, small towns have less options these days. But believe me the big cities are not that better off.

While you are searching for options for your 35mm C41 processing, do consider mpix.com. I have no affiliation with them and I have started using their 35mm film processing recently. I highly recommend their service. You sign up for an account at their website, request their film mailers and send your 35mm film in. They process the negatives and notify you by email. You can only view the thumbnails after you unlock and pay for the processing ($0.19 x frames) and they mail you the negatives. You can order prints of the pictures you like. Turnaround time is excellent (~1 day) as long as the film gets to them quickly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Last time I dropped off some 120 C-41 on the weekend, I was pretty annoyed when I came back 7 days later and it still wasn't in. I had to come back the following weekend. It's hard to complain for $1.41 or whatever they charge, though.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Shoot. When I was a kid it was typical that one would put their film into an envelope and drop it in a box at the drugstore and come back 5 to 7 days later to pick up the pictures. Often they wouldn't be there the first time you stopped in.

That was life and nobody made a big deal about it.

It was the introduction of Fotomat that brought us 3 or 4 day service and it wasn't until the late 1980's that the 1-hour minilab started showing up. I remember those 1 hour places were horrible at the beginning and one could choose 24 hour service for better results.

So, going back to drop-off and pick-up 7 days later is just returning to the pre-minilab days.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have no problem waiting for 7+ days for nice prints to come back. I like the delayed gratification part of the experience in shooting film. But since we are talking about Walmart services, I am getting a little jittery when turnaround time is exceeding 3 weeks. I just got off the phone with Fuji lab for a 120 roll I had dropped off 3 weeks ago and I was told its still in production. I inquired about another roll that I dropped 2 weeks ago and they have no record of it!

I know we should not be complaining about it too much given $2 we pay for the processing of 120 roll, but this much wait is killing me. And Fuji lab also confirmed that they have cut down the pick up/delivery service from Walmart to 2 days a week. This is all adding to the turnaround time. I think I will have to look into other options besides Walmart for 120/220 processing, worst come worst consider home souping C41.

Shooter
    127 Format
    DIY is fun and fast.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    DIY is fun and fast.
    Bill, I agree! I already do home DIY for my E-6 on 120/220 and I enjoy the turnaround. I have stayed away from the C41 strictly because of the super attractive price I paid for the Walmart drop-off service.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin