Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,862   Online: 1103

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by davela View Post
    I pay about $5 a roll at Walmart. It is fast and they call me when it's done. (takes about a week - faster than is used to be). I've put about a dozen rolls through them and I've only had flawless results and much better service than the local "pro" camera shops like Sammy's Camera. Highly recommended. I user them for 120 film too ($1.44 a roll for C41 printed). Same fast and low cost results with 35mm and 120 E6. In fact it is said they will process all 8mm, super 8mm, and 16mm movie film even Kodachrome and I know for a fact they also do 110 film.

Contrary to what you might think, some of the employees at the Walmart photo departments actually know something about real analog photography. I guess this is where some art students or genuine enthusiasts end up working, which is good for users and it gives them some work in an area related to their training or disposition!

...maybe someday we'll all have to don the blue smock :-)
    It all depends, what you are paying for at a pro lab theoretically is consistency. I started my lab jobs at a drug store, with an old optical mini lab.....we were still able to outprint frontiers and ran a business out of town which claimed to cater to pros/advanced amateurs.....why? We cared. It may have helped that my boss was the "district lab trainer", but the point is, if you wind up having a staff that CARES results will be better.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

120 MF C-41 prints size

What is the standard print size for walmart's send out service for medium format 120 color print film (C-41)? I am shooting using an old MF folder 6x6 Agfa Isolette so square prints would be preferred. Are the standard prints 4"x4" or 5"x5" or something altogether different?

Shooter
    35mm
    This thread seems to indicate that you can easily and quite cheaply get square prints. It's a very informative thread overall, but does contain some impolite language.

http://forums.skateperception.com/in...owtopic=157892

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    I could have sworn that Wal-Mart uses Fujicolor...
    They switched over from Qualex. I'm not sure if they use Fuji in Canada though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by davela View Post
    Kodak, like a lot of companies, appears to be run by managers that don't use their own products. That is the only way I can explain their disconnect with the real world. I can sell an old roll of Kodachrome 25 from my fridge on eBay for $35 a box, so why can't they figure out there's money in something like that? Small film makers will just about beat your damn door down for a cartridge of Super 8 film that is magnetic striped! Of course Kodak discontinued that too. Remember Kodachrome 200?? Ektar 25??, etc. etc.

Of course they'd rather focus on churning out throw-away point-and-shoot digital cameras and compete with dozens of other also-ran makers of these, instead of focusing on their own very unique and precious assets. They seem to think their "brand" is so precious that it is what counts now, not the product. This is the sort of nonsense apparently that is taught in high falutin business schools.
    Hi Dave,
    You've hit the nail on the head. I had posted this on the Qualex Thread, but here are some figures that will really leave you fuming. In the 3rd Quarter of last year, Kodak only made 2.8% Profit on their Digital sales, but made fully 11.2% Profit on their Film sales! This was fully $77 Million Dollars in Profit from their Film sales in July to September 2008, but only $23 Million in Profit from their Digital sales! Why do they not do more to faithfully serve their Film customers? I would like to know why! They treat us with contempt. The fact is that they DO make profit on their Films, but they don't think that they're making enough profits! Qualex is probably profitable too. Those Kodachrome Films they scrapped were profitable, but not enough for the current rotten bunch of Executives who run the Eastman Kodak Company . These Executives work on behalf of a few money-grubbing Mutual Funds who are the majority Shareholders. They went to the wrong school of business where "revenues" are more important than "profits". Total Digital Revenues for the 3rdQ were $820 million (up 7% over the previous year) compared to $764 Million for Film (which was down). These Executives seem to think that there will somehow be a more profitable future in selling junk electronic cameras and equipment rather than a skilled manufactured product like Film. Volume is what they call it, and this is also how they thought at GM. Well, as GM is finding out, volume is not more important than profits. I've reconciled myself to the likelihood that these rotten Executives will sell Kodak's Film business to Fuji or Ilford, and I think this will be a good thing since those two companies DO believe in Film and are much more committed to serving their customers. Under these Mutual Fund managers, Kodak has become like a Wall Street firm where 'money money money' is all that matters. It's very sad, but Companies like that always go belly up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    ...Qualex is probably profitable too. Those Kodachrome Films they scrapped were profitable, but not enough for the current rotten bunch of Executives who run the Eastman Kodak Company.

IIRC, Qualex was never profitable, not from day one. I also believe that at the end, KL-200 and KM-25 didn't sell enough to justify making an entire roll.

You say it's a bad thing when a company cuts its losses, but honestly, if you were in charge of a company facing dire prospects, wouldn't you cut what loses the most money?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I recently had a roll of Portra 400VC that was used for some unimportant duties. I thought I'd give the Walmart processing a try and recieved back double prints on a roll of 120 in 6X7 for $2.04. I would have to say that the processing fees were over-priced, even at that! Very pale, colorless results in 3R prints. The negatives were clean, though but it took about 10 days. The prints reminded me of the one and only time I used Dwayne's for this sort of duty on 120.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Medium Format
    every time you spend money at walmart your soul dies a little. they are a vile, vile corporation. why can't you send it to dwayne directly and cut out this horrible middle man.saving a couple bucks isn't worth the great cost of keeping this abomination in this country/world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    wilson

it is more than just a couple bucks a roll i save by dropping my film off at sam's club,
    more like 6 and 7$ a roll ( $4.04/roll doubles 24exp v 10.75/roll for same thing sent directly )
    - includes shipping fees 1 way, not both ways, so it is even more ...

maybe you do, but i don't have thousands of extra dollars to spend on developing c41, e6 or 120 film.
    if i had the money i would gladly bring every roll i shoot to someone local.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    every time you spend money at walmart your soul dies a little. they are a vile, vile corporation. why can't you send it to dwayne directly and cut out this horrible middle man.saving a couple bucks isn't worth the great cost of keeping this abomination in this country/world.
    Sigh. Here we go again....
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin