Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,095   Posts: 1,612,583   Online: 1121

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ahh ignorance is bliss....and so much easier. how much u pay for 120 e6 at walmart? it's time americans open there eyes and see more than dollar signs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    Where did you hear that Qualex wasn't profitable? There's no reason why they couldn't make a profit. Now, Wal-Mart is very demanding of the lowest price from its suppliers, and Qualex was probably trying to raise its fees which is why Wal-Mart dumped them. Losing Wal-Mart is probably the main reason why Kodak is closing Qualex. Nobody should now be surprised if the quality of Wal-Mart's send-out developing goes down. Whoever took it over had to outbid Qualex!
    I heard it here.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    Regarding K200 and K25, there is no reason whatsoever why Kodak cannot make a profit on all of their Films. They would simply charge enough money to profit. A Master Roll is not that large, and can be stored in a freezer till it's all sold. The fact is that Kodak would have sold a lot more K200&25 if they had offered it to ALL of their customers -- including 120, Sheet, and 8&16mm Movie customers. I'm a Supe8 user, and believe me that Super8 and 16mm users would have been delighted to have K25,200 & K64. However, Kodak wasn't interested in serving them with Kodachrome. That was a lot of lost sales for Kodachrome! The only Transparency Film that Kodak offers Super8 users now is E64T.
    Yes, Kodak can make a profit on any film, provided the price is high enough. However, would you or anyone else purchase K25 or K200 at $30 per 36 exposure roll, knowing that the film is still being produced?
    Yes, if Kodak offered Kodachrome in 120 and sheet sales would go up. But could you think about the expense involved with setting up a MF and a LF line for the K-14 process? It would probably run in the tens of thousands of dollars to just set up the machine, before the tanks are even filled with chemicals!

I will agree that the discontinuation of K40 in Super 8 was sad. However, introducing three Kodachrome emulsions for a format that can only support one color positive transparency emulsion at a time.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    There were actually two cases.

United States V. Kodak (1954) determined that Kodak did not have the right to sell film with processing included, pursuant to the Sherman Antitrust Act.

Kodak V. United States (1994) determined that Kodak no longer possesses market power over the film and photofinishing markets. However, Kodak has obviously seen a reason not to bundle photofinishing and processing together for the last 15 years.
    Hello nickrapak,

Thank you for the links. I was unaware of the second case.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

United States V. Kodak (1954) determined that Kodak did not have the right to sell film with processing included, pursuant to the Sherman Antitrust Act.

Kodak V. United States (1994) determined that Kodak no longer possesses market power over the film and photofinishing markets. However, Kodak has obviously seen a reason not to bundle photofinishing and processing together for the last 15 years.
    Nick:

I too thank you for the second link.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    That's funny because my dad and later me used to buy kodak film with processing mailers all through the 1960's till the 1980's.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    ahh ignorance is bliss....and so much easier. how much u pay for 120 e6 at walmart? it's time americans open there eyes and see more than dollar signs.
    Sorry, helping the AFL-CIO unionize Walmart and cause another great American enterprise to tank is not in my interest and never will be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    During hard economic times, many people don't have the extra money to spend on principle. With Kodachrome I save around $14/roll to get it back at the same time by going to Wal-Mart. Even if it were only $4/roll it would be worth it. Why pay 50% more for something when I don't have to?
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    One note: Make sure that you put your film in the envelope for the external service. Mark the envelope with the process you want. I say this because not every person at every film counter at every Wal-Mart knows about the Outside Service and the envelopes to use. Most do, but I did run into a couple people who didn't know what I was talking about.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    again with the dollar signs.... I said nothing regarding unions ,quite the opposite. and what about all the great american enterprises it destroys?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sorry wilson, i am not at all ignorant of their policies ...

i know they in the habit of lowering their prices so the competition folds,
    and then they jack the prices up again ... higher than before ...
    when there is no where else to shop.

no i am not a fan of the resulting vacant main street,
    and the "super center" built next to a perfectly good vacant building next door,
    just because it had to fit the cookie cutter mold of all their stores.

no i am not a fan of saying things are made in usa and
    then the stickers fall off that say the product is actually made in mexico.

i am not rich by any means, and yes saving 10 dollars a roll of film is a lot
    of money that i save 100+ times a year.
    are you going to send me a bank cheque for the difference between my pro lab, and local finisher,
    and for the 80min's worth of gas i am going to spend (round trip to pro lab ) so i won't get my film sent to fuji + dwaynes ?
    i will send you my address and you can start sending me cheques next week,
    i'll have some e6 and c-41 to process soon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin