Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,253   Online: 732

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I used them for a bit until the price went up to $7.00 at my local joint, and its only $10 at the prolab with next day delivery. To have my slides back in my hands in 24hrs, and to support local business is worth the extra 3 dollars. Same goes for my 8x10's which they do for $3.50.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

why can't pro labs reduce their prices?

One question that hasn't been asked by demonizing walmart is why the local pro labs charge such high prices for a rather simple service? I mean, we are only talking about a medium format roll having 12 measly exposures. Why should that service necessarily and invariably cost $15 for developing and prints when walmart, through fuji, only charges $1.56? Why can't we challenge that disparity? If the local labs charged a little less, swallowing the difference in price may not be so hard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi mongo6407

it used to be that the pro-labs charged more because they were consistent and offered custom services,
    3 hour slide development ( 35mm-810 ) and very very good prints.
    i know when i have slides or print film processed i don't want to cross my fingers,
    and depend on a mini-lab handle my film, and i am willing to pay a few dollars extra for
    the service, not to mention the client pays for film/processing.
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-31-2009 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We here on APUG should consider setting up an arrangement where those of us outside of the U.S. could send to a fellow, trusted APUG member our rolls of Kodachrome with a U.S. money order in the amount per roll charged at Wal-Mart plus costs to mail it back home. It would be a voluntary thing where someone in the U.S. could post on classifieds, "Hi, I'll be heading to drop some of my rolls of Kodachrome at Wal-Mart in about a month. If you need some of yours processed and are needing x-number of rolls minimum processed, please email me."

I keep hearing "$4.88" in American dollars over and over, and I must say, I'm envious. In Canada, we pay upward to CAD$13 (~USD$10 lately) a roll for having them redirected to Dwayne's. Other locations -- Australia, NZ, China, Japan, I'm sure -- probably would pay a lot more. It's probably a futile idea, but if there's anywhere that such a grassroots system could work, I can't think of a better meeting place/bulletin board than APUG. The peer system would assure that everyone collaborates together honourably. And as peers, we all share a commitment to film here. Anything we can do to encourage an increase of use, I'd say, then all the better, yes?

Just a thought. Thx.

p.s., I'm adding a note to American APUGers: Wal-Mart in Canada offers nearly none of the special services you can obtain at a Wal-Mart there (like E-6, 120, K-14, etc.). In fact, Wal-Mart is fairly barebones for film services here.
    Last edited by accozzaglia; 01-31-2009 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Wal-Mart in Canada

Shooter
    35mm
    The whole "real photo labs are better quality" argument has not played out in my experience. In my experience local photo labs are total hacks and I wouldn't trust my film with them, especially not for what they charge for the privilege. Maybe things used to be different. You pay your money and you take your chances.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by accozzaglia View Post
    We here on APUG should consider setting up an arrangement where those of us outside of the U.S. could send to a fellow, trusted APUG member our rolls of Kodachrome with a U.S. money order in the amount per roll charged at Wal-Mart plus costs to mail it back home.
    I agree...I wonder what will be happening when Qualex closes down - I imagine that Shoppers routes their 'specialty' film through them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My understanding, according to another APUGer living in Ontario, is that when your local Shoppers accepts your film order for Kodachrome, they phone Fuji just as they do for other pick-up orders they handle (e.g., 8x10 enlargements, E-6 processing, etc.). For Kodachrome, Fuji sends to Kodak (either in Canada or the U.S., not sure which). Kodak sends to Dwayne's. Once Dwayne's completes, it's a reversal of this chain. This is why it requires about three weeks give or take to have your processed roll of Kodachrome returned for $12.99 + [x]ST.

I don't mind the time or the cost so much as the time combined with the cost. I'll continue it if there's no other option -- Henry's is, to my knowledge, no cheaper -- but it puts a crimp on how much Kodachrome I can afford to buy, shoot, and process.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We here on APUG should consider setting up an arrangement where those of us outside of the U.S. could send to a fellow, trusted APUG member our rolls of Kodachrome with a U.S. money order in the amount per roll charged at Wal-Mart plus costs to mail it back home. It would be a voluntary thing where someone in the U.S. could post on classifieds, "Hi, I'll be heading to drop some of my rolls of Kodachrome at Wal-Mart in about a month. If you need some of yours processed and are needing x-number of rolls minimum processed, please email me."

I keep hearing "$4.88" in American dollars over and over, and I must say, I'm envious. In Canada, we pay upward to CAD$13 (~USD$10 lately) a roll for having them redirected to Dwayne's. Other locations -- Australia, NZ, China, Japan, I'm sure -- probably would pay a lot more. It's probably a futile idea, but if there's anywhere that such a grassroots system could work, I can't think of a better meeting place/bulletin board than APUG. The peer system would assure that everyone collaborates together honourably. And as peers, we all share a commitment to film here. Anything we can do to encourage an increase of use, I'd say, then all the better, yes?

Just a thought. Thx.

p.s., I'm adding a note to American APUGers: Wal-Mart in Canada offers nearly none of the special services you can obtain at a Wal-Mart there (like E-6, 120, K-14, etc.). In fact, Wal-Mart is fairly barebones for film services here.

i will do it. send me a PM. i use skype so i can call you very cheapky if needed.

i spent many years of my life in thailand. i send my 120 film there to be processed and scanned! i get an entire roll of 120 (6x7) scanned and burned to DVD for 5-10 dollars (c41 and e6). i get TIFF files. this saves me HUGE money for sure. they are doing 30 rolls for me now. i get it shipped back EMS....it even arrives on sunadys too! i have been working with this lab for 7 years.

eddie
    eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    35mm

Wal-Mart Services

Are you sure about this? I used to send my Super8 Kodachrome through Wal-Mart which sent it to Qualex and then to Switzerland. I got the developed Reel back in as little as 9 days flat! You need to specify instructions (on the Envelope) for Qualex to send it to Dwayne's. They don't know anything at your local Wal-Mart -- send it to Qualex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    Are you sure about this? I used to send my Super8 Kodachrome through Wal-Mart which sent it to Qualex and then to Switzerland. I got the developed Reel back in as little as 9 days flat! You need to specify instructions (on the Envelope) for Qualex to send it to Dwayne's. They don't know anything at your local Wal-Mart -- send it to Qualex.
    How long ago did you attempt this? Last summer, I went to a couple of Wal-Marts and they basically said the same thing: "we do print film here and we print digital pictures."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin