Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,505   Online: 901

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    That's what they say here in TX too. It's not true, because you can apparently do pretty much anything that Fuji labs can do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are all the envelopes that are put in the bins processed by the photo techs at the Wal-Mart, or are they sent directly off to Fuji without even being touched by the photo techs?

I guess that would determine the likelihood of getting back slides and a CD or ruined Kodachrome and prints. If the techs touch it, you'll probably get crap.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure about that. In my old walmarts in OH, the envelopes for in-store (blue) were different than the ones for send out (more colorful, with different options), and they got dropped into a different box altogether. In the link I posted earlier, the topic starter urged writing 'send out' all over the envelope, just to be safe. I don't worry about it, because my local walmart sends everything out; they don't even have any film processing equipment in the store.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    how about emailing fuji directly?
    they are apug sponsor / partners ..

http://www.apug.org/forums/members/fujifilm/

you can send them a PM and ask them how
    to send film to them through the canadian walmarts ...

or better yet go to walmart and speak with the manager,
    not a lab tech, of the photo department. if you can't find
    the lab manager, ask for the store manager.

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by accozzaglia View Post
    How long ago did you attempt this? Last summer, I went to a couple of Wal-Marts and they basically said the same thing: "we do print film here and we print digital pictures."
    You need to ask the staff people who is Wal-Mart's "external developer", and which Envelope to use for that developer. They can phone Wal-Mart's Head Office if necessary. The Swiss Kodachrome Lab closed in October 2006. I'm not sure if Wal-Mart in Canada still deals with Qualex which Kodak is closing down at the end of March -- unless there's another buyer. By using Qualex for my S8 Kodachrome, I saved $7 on Postage, and saved Kodak $7 in return Postage. I wouldn't want to trust the Mail with possibly losing my Films -- nor pay the Postage!

Shooter
    35mm

Fujicolor FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Are all the envelopes that are put in the bins processed by the photo techs at the Wal-Mart, or are they sent directly off to Fuji without even being touched by the photo techs?
    The on-site photo techs at walmart will scan the barcode on the envelope before it leaves and when it comes back into the store. That is all they are required to do. When I worked there we would also re-run prints if they came back bent or mangled. They do not unspool your kodachrome or fire up the e6 machine they do not have on site. In addition, they are not handling your b&w film in such a fashion either. All they do is scan the barcode when it leaves, and scan it again when it comes back.

Would anybody be opposed to a member writing an FAQ to this? The questions keep coming up..you know frequently. I would be happy to organize it into a friendly format and get answers "from the inside" to any other questions you may have. Feel free to send me a message.

CRK

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps a FAQ would be nice. I just tried out my local walmart with a roll of C41. I had crossed big lines through all the options on the envelope, I checked the "Special Instructions" box and wrote "develop only". I got back 4x6 prints that I didn't want and got charged $5.36. And the negatives are kind of just thrown in the envelope, I had kindof expected plastic negative sleeves like I got at Target. Since my special instructions were ignored, it makes me think that if it had been a roll of E6 or anything else that it would have gone right through the C-41 machines.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Since my special instructions were ignored, it makes me think that if it had been a roll of E6 or anything else that it would have gone right through the C-41 machines.
    Fujicolor does not do 'Develop only' for negs. If you want negs only I suggest you find a lab with a film processor and have them do it on site as the process only takes about 7 minutes on a roller transport machine. They can also sleeve your negs. At Fujicolor the film is strung together with lots and lots of other rolls, and everything is run together and sorted automatically. Your order does not get the kind of personal attention it normally would. Rest assured that if you sent in a roll of E6 it would come back as slides. I have seen on multiple occasions customers accidentally sending in a roll of slide film and then being upset that they didn't get double prints back like they wanted!

My suggestion is any time you have an issue with the service provided, make it THEIR issue to deal with. Make THEM explain to you why such-and-such happened instead of assuming the worst. Also remember that Fujicolor processing is a large scale outprocessor, not a custom lab. They can do some things, but not others. Never hurts to make the guy behind the counter call the lab first

Shooter
    35mm
    OK that might be the case. I know that multiple people on that skateperception.com link were getting things developed-only, but if I think back it seems it was either slide film, or in cases where it was C41, it was 120 size film. I guess 35mm XP2 was an undesirable niche case, which figures for me that I would fall into such a category.

Shooter
    35mm
    Did they specify 1hr vs outlab? In the store they offer negs-only as a 1-Hour service, here it's $1.76. This depends on the store having a film processor on site, of course. In the worst case scenario you can ALWAYS negotiate the price if you're unsatisfied. The pricing rules are very gray, you could even get a refund on your order if you still have the receipt since you specified on the envelope that you only wanted negs and no prints. If you really feel ambitious you could ask them to sleeve up your negs in the store while you wait. After all, it does not specify ANYWHERE on the drop box or pamphlet that negs-only is not an option from the outlab.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin