Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,523   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wal-Mart's Send-Out Film Service

I know they send film to Dwayne's.

The question is, how much does it cost? Is it much cheaper than just going to Dwayne's to begin with?

What I am trying to ascertain is, can I buy a few rolls of Kodachrome or some other slide film from Freestyle and drop it off at my local Wal-Mart, and in a week or two I'll get a call that my slides are in?

Does anyone know of a site where the costs are detailed?

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    I pay about $5 a roll at Walmart. It is fast and they call me when it's done. (takes about a week - faster than is used to be). I've put about a dozen rolls through them and I've only had flawless results and much better service than the local "pro" camera shops like Sammy's Camera. Highly recommended. I user them for 120 film too ($1.44 a roll for C41 printed). Same fast and low cost results with 35mm and 120 E6. In fact it is said they will process all 8mm, super 8mm, and 16mm movie film even Kodachrome and I know for a fact they also do 110 film.

Contrary to what you might think, some of the employees at the Walmart photo departments actually know something about real analog photography. I guess this is where some art students or genuine enthusiasts end up working, which is good for users and it gives them some work in an area related to their training or disposition!

...maybe someday we'll all have to don the blue smock :-)
    Last edited by davela; 01-20-2009 at 11:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've taken probably a dozen or more rolls of E-6 and a few K64 to my local Walmart. I use a black sharpie pen and cross out all the options on the envelope and write boldly "SEND OUT - SLIDES" or something like that at the bottom. So far the only problem I have had is that one of my rolls got returned to a different store, but they corrected that in a couple of days and no charge. The store I use hasn't much of a clue about slides and they usually think that the order was done wrong since there are no prints. I usually have to explain it's just fine, it's exactly what I ordered. For the longest time didn't have the right charge on E-6 120 and were only charging me $1.36/roll, which I tell them that it should be more like $4.88, (even $4.88 is a good deal and I'd hate to have them shut their E-6 service down for not making enough coin). Anyway, all the slides I've gotten back from them thru a Fuji lab or Dwaynes have been very clean with good colors, which is more than I could say for the local so called pro lab which usually provided lots of crud and scratches at no extra charge (actually a lot of extra charge). The other slick thing is being able to call an automated number to check status of my order using the envelope number, usually it's about 5-7 days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in Australia if you want to shoot Kodachrome you need to buy it direct from America and then mail it to Dwayne's. That's postage here, postage there, then postage back here again. Plus the exchange rate isn't favorable by any means.
    If you can shoot Kodachrome and drop just it in at Wal-Mart, please take advantage of it, it cant get much simpler (or cheaper) than that.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Walmart service Vs. Pro Lab

I have used Walmart's send out service. I have no complaints, except I rather not wait 7-14 days. I've had sloppy care of the negatives with 1hr photo service at Walmart. Maybe it's about the lack of care by poorly trained staff, or just because I didn't want prints. I would rather pay a bit more and drive 23 miles to a pro lab, than wait for processing. Sometimes, I can call ahead to schedule E-6 processing, while I wait. I appreciate the tender loving care of my film.
    I want to help the pro lab stay in business. I'd be devistated, and stuck with a freezer of film, if they went out of business. Imagine: a cellar full of wine and you can't drink it anymore. I can't imagine left with only digital. I don't have a place to set up a wet lab.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    Here in Australia if you want to shoot Kodachrome you need to buy it direct from America and then mail it to Dwayne's. That's postage here, postage there, then postage back here again. Plus the exchange rate isn't favorable by any means. ...
    Alex, did you ever consider acting as a Kodachrome Retailer in Australia? You can take orders from people which could be purchased from Kodak about every 2 months. Kodak would mail the bulk purchase to you, and you would then mail it out to them in Australia. They would mail you their Films for developing, and about once a month or two you would send a bulk order to Dwayne's for processing which would be returned to you. The developed Films would then again be individually mailed in Australia. The "bulk" mail costs to America would be shared by everyone in the order. If it costed $20 and there were 20 people, everyone would only be paying $1 of the postage. The only complicated part is not mixing up anyone's order!

Shooter
    35mm
    This is all news to me. I thought Walmart only did C41, 35mm, period. If you really have other options, what are they? What film sizes and processes can you get done with walmart send-away? Heck I've never shot slide film before, but I'd buy a couple rolls to try out if I could just get it done at walmart.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

b&w service?

Can the send away service handle 120 MF true b&w print processing (non c-41). I want to use them to process some efke (adox) MF b&w print film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does anyone know for sure about wally-mart? Maybe they just have robots or a bunch of monkeys developing the stuff, and can only do what they have been programmed to do (sort of like the drones working in their stores). Digital, C-41, hey - it's all the same to them. Just a thought...

paulie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have been using sam's club and walmart send out for close to 7 years now.
    they have processed my 110, 8mm movie film, 120 chrome+c41
    as well as chromogenic bw (both kodak and ilford)
    as well as 35mm color, slides and some b/w that i didn't want to myself.
    all the stores are different if they do it in-house. the stores i have used ( mostly sam's club )
    send it out to fuji, and if it is 1/2 frame, c-41, movie film, 110 and 120 format films they send it all to dwaynes.
    it is all - send out - since my store doesn't have a lab, and don't have any complaints. about fuji ( their albany ny plant )
    or dwaynes. unlike paulie's comment, they are not drones or robots, and they actually have a clue, and they charge a fraction
    of what the local pro-lab or local mini-lab might charge for the same service.
    if this wasn't true, i wouldn't use them ...

i am not sure, but from what i remember, it is a discounted charge if you go through sam's or walmart rather than sending directly. i know this is true with everything from movie film to 120 film ...

why don't you call both dwaynes and walmart and compare prices ?

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin