Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,506   Online: 718

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A pity that there are no 70mm backs for my Koni-Omega. I could get a Cine-Rollex for the Technika, but I've never seen the point of shooting medium format on a 4x5, unless one needs the movements. Maybe I could warm up to the idea. If so, my preference would be for fp4+ and hp5+, not the Delta films. Progress be damned!
    Charles Hohenstein

I think the big, looming problem with 70mm is the cassettes at this point. Mags will last more-or-less indefinitely, but there is an aging supply of 70mm cassettes on the market. I've bought an amply amount on the Bay, but long-term, if it dries up, it could be a problem.

Sure you can replace the felt, but the METAL can be a problem. Paint flakes off of it when you tape around the ends for fear of light leaks from warped metal connections, and this can cause dust and dirt. Plus paint fleck makes for an even looser fit and there is no protection from further metal ware.

Kodak used to make them, but no longer, and we all know how Kodak is about sharing old technology with other companies. Linhof also used to maake them. If they are still in business as the same company there might be a chance of getting a batch manufactured. After all, they are just hunks of metal.

Even better, though less likely, would be to make them from plastic, like with the screw-top caps. IDK with the tar-drop top shape if it would be possible to engineer a design with a screw top. And a new spec. would be costly.

Does anyone know if there were/are any other manufacturers of the cassettes?

Maybe it would be possible to get an aerial photography company, as they still use 70mm, to go in with individual purchasers on a cassette order.

As to wanting Hp5 over Delta, why haven't you been getting Tri-X all this time? Whereas with color films, it is easy to see a different, B&W films of the same type are far more subtle and difficult to tell apart, unless it is physically poor like some of Kodak's papers used to be. Ilford beat them hands-down there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri-X keeps getting quoted, but can anybody give a 7 digit Kodak catalogue code for perforated 70mm Tri-X film, which is reasonably easily available? Rather than looking for crumbs off the table, remnants from industrial 70mm applications, wouldn't it be better to try to get a steady supply of conventional camera films?

One reason for pushing the 70mm 'envelope' is it is at present a dying format, BUT the remnants are still around, plenty of 70mm backs, at least for Hasselblad, and it wouldn't take much to at least keep it hanging on in there. Then it is a viable alternative if various 120 films start to be wound up, principally because it can be cut from the same stock as 35mm films. Fantasising a little, Ektar 100 could be made available in 70mm format very easily!

Hi Martin. I don't know the CAT # OTOH, but I know that there is one. I think it *may* eventually disappear, not from discontinuation, per se, but because of an un-Godly high minimum order.

There is new stuff still at B&H. I'm not talking about 30-year expired shit sitting in someone's freezer (OR FRIDGE!) that still "good as new" ;-)

Actually checking on B&H's site right now, it isn't listed anymore. I just don't think it would be wise to introduce an identical product if it is still available. I will check with my Kodak "insider", just to make sure on this though.

I agree with you that 70mm is an exciting format for making it easier to bring 35mm only films into 70mm.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

different sizes-not only 70mm

i would offer the best films-delta 100/400 in different sizes. all without paper.

70mm DP, 70 UP, 35MM UP, 120/220 all long roll 30m.
    HEWES
    can the hewes-70mm-reel be loaded in jobo-2500-tanks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This probably isn't much use, as it's from 1996, but at least it's a list to start crossing off. Thanks to W.J Markerink, a link to a page on his site;

http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/list70mm.htm

Incidentally, Process Supplies in London have a vast quantity of Fuji duping film in 70mm. All out of date, but only a few pounds a 30m roll. I can't find it on their site, but I'm sure they still have plenty.

http://www.process-supplies.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    HEWES
    can the hewes-70mm-reel be loaded in jobo-2500-tanks?
    Not a chance for the full 15 foot reels. Maybe if they make a short reel.

There are/were various aerial films in 70mm. Agfa used to list some interesting stuff.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Have seen 70mm backs for the Hasselblad but as I was unaware film was still available have not botherd to purchase one.
    My take being that as I would not want to wait till the whole film was exposed before developing I would be inclined to open the back and cut off the exposed section for dev'ing as I wanted, as I do not have a back at present I will have to investigate the practicalities of this but am working on the assumtion that if a roll of film can be loaded it can be unloaded part way through.
    My thinking is that this could be an alternative to 120 given the cost and technicalities of the paper backing which will be an ongoing issue that is not going to get any cheaper to overcome.
    At this point I cannot commit to an order but am interested in the idea and as it seems a way of future proofing the hasselblad without going to a d.....l back will investigate its practicalities.
    Thanks for the heads up on this, am off to do research.

Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    .....as I do not have a back at present I will have to investigate the practicalities of this but am working on the assumtion that if a roll of film can be loaded it can be unloaded part way through.....
    The film runs from cassette to cassette, in a similar fashion to the old Agfa Rapid 35mm cameras, if anyone remembers that. So cutting and rethreading is straightforward. Or, as you're using bulk loading, remember, use a shorter length.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am the same, I saw a couple of 70mm backs in the past which I let pass by. Hopefully a Bronica one surfaces up at some point.

This said having 70mm format available would be a god send for re-spooling for vintage cameras and odd formats. I had looked for 70mm in the past without success, so I'd be frilled to get hold of some.

I am still investigating how I would process it. I sent an email to Hewes to get the dimensions of their reel. I wonder whether I could use a jobo print tank to that effect.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin