Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,082   Online: 908

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    .......The order is a bit confusing because it automatically adds the VAT (which we in the US wouldn't be required to pay) and gives no option for shipping as you specified. I presume that all of this would be corrected when the time comes.....
    At the moment we're just looking for a show of hands, so don't worry about the details, we certainly wouldn't be charging VAT on exports outside the EU.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got it! That's what I thought, just wanted to check.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far, a week later and a total of 6 rolls ordered, so unless something dramatic happens that looks like the end of the affair. I'll maybe do the rounds of other photo sites, and have yet to put it on our own Silverprint site. Seems a shame, have all 70mm users got freezers stuffed with stock from years gone by?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Martin !

Yes, seems a shame the market for 70mm long rolls is going to be completely gone.

That’s probably true the 70mm film lovers have full freezers of great old stock.

Because I’m a huge fan of using long roll film my freezer is full of discontinued 70mm goods: Plus-X, Tech-Pan, Aviphot-80, Aviphot-200, HP-5+ and Infrared 2424 70mm stuff. This is all great, 70mm aerial, not so old stock.

Over the years, thanks to photonet and APUG members, and recently mainly through e-bay I did purchase of a lot of 70mm materials and processing tools.

70mm backs, cassettes, bulk loaders, dev. tanks and reels are rare, sometimes expensive compare to regular stuff.

But there are several valid reasons for pursuing this 70mm endeavor.

In the fresh B&W MF long rolls world we have not so big choice now:

1/ Efke R100 70mm x 100 ft. roll non-perf $150/roll available at Freestyle
    2/ Rollei Infrared 400 70mm perf 30,5m EUR 83/roll
    3/ Rollei Ortho 25 70mm x 30m non-perf EUR 166/roll at Macodirect

May be something else I didn’t mention.
    There is also excellent Tri-X 220 (TXP320) – the last one in B&W 220, but it’s a little different league.

Standard FP4+ emulsion should compose well in raising 70mm format.
    The price GBP 80.50/30m is right and I can’t believe there is so small demand for that great stuff.

There are only 4 rolls ordered except 2 of mine ??? I was very enthusiastic to that enterprise but it looks really sad now.

Martin, mentioning a possibility of fresh FP4+ 70mm rolls in other photo sites should help as well as advertising on Silverprint main home site

Regardless of my full freezer I’m upholding my order for 2-cans of FP4 I did on Silverprint basket before and I’m going to order 2-cans of HP5 in the future. That’s all I can do to support your action.

My feeling is, we have the last chance to rich excellent FP4+ emulsion in 70mm format.

Maybe I should buy the next, big freezer, break the bank and make the order for 30 cans (half the minimum) to go ahead with Harman ?

Jan Wilhelm

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa still lists 2 out of their colour films as 70mm DP, both of them as short rolls.

Problem with a lot of these Rollei films is that they are basically rebranded aerial films. And, now that Rollei is out of business their availabilty is only temporary anyway.

Efke would be the only alternative, and it appears to be prohibitively-priced. £80.50 is the equivalent, currently of about $110U.S., which is right in line with the price of the Portra 70mm films available. EUR 83 seems in line, but 166 is CRAZY! That'd come out to the equivalent of EUR 8.30 per 220 length.

I guess that respooling aerial films is a viable option, but I want films that have natural panchromatic sensitivites not extended-reds designed for foliage photography from 20,000 feet!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've ordered one roll, but if we get close to an order, I'll commit to buy at least one more to help get over the hump. Do keep us posted. This is important, to me, anyway. I have two 70mm backs for my Graflex XL. I don't care if it's perf or not. I can handle two emulsions at once; it's great to have that choice.

Yes, I have a bunch of cold 70mm film. So some of my cold stock goes in one and the fp4 in the other.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmIs4Ever View Post
    Problem with a lot of these Rollei films is that they are basically rebranded aerial films. And, now that Rollei is out of business their availabilty is only temporary anyway.

Efke would be the only alternative, and it appears to be prohibitively-priced. £80.50 is the equivalent, currently of about $110U.S., which is right in line with the price of the Portra 70mm films available. EUR 83 seems in line, but 166 is CRAZY! That'd come out to the equivalent of EUR 8.30 per 220 length.

I guess that respooling aerial films is a viable option, but I want films that have natural panchromatic sensitivites not extended-reds designed for foliage photography from 20,000 feet!

-) In the past the Agfa colour aerial films had the same emulsions as their counterparts in the consumer range. At least for the current N400 and Chrome 200 (not available in 70mmm) this is still the case.

-) No kind of Rollei is out of business (as far as I know).
    The company Franke & Heidecke (consumer MF TLR, SLR and MF projectors) is in insolvency. There are more `Rolleis´. And insolvency does not neccessarily mean out of business. It depends.
    None of them is actually in the film business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    Seems a shame, have all 70mm users got freezers stuffed with stock from years gone by?
    I do. It would have to be an interesting film for me. Wasn't the Agfa B&W aerial near IR?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I do. It would have to be an interesting film for me. Wasn't the Agfa B&W aerial near IR?
    Nick, there is plenty of old, used "interesting" film out there. Curiosity film at this point is far too small a market to warrant serious consideration.

Besides, you as an individual can probably get Aerial 70mm film individually. Why trouble a business to stock it for you?

I love speculation and side conversations, but let's get serious on this thread, not these continual "if wishes were horses" discussions.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin