Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,814   Online: 967
      
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 591011121314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 170
  1. #141

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,238
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    Wow! I can't believe they can offer 11x14 for so cheap. That is an Optical print as opposed to a scan and Digital print? I don't know how Costco makes money off that.
    I'm pretty sure it's a scan and digital print.

    How can they make money? Because you come in and buy other stuff. (Even though they make it relatively easy to pay for your prints at the photo counter and "run".)

    And this in spite of the fact that Costco actually pays and treats their employees better than similar stores.

  2. #142

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a scan and digital print.

    How can they make money? Because you come in and buy other stuff. (Even though they make it relatively easy to pay for your prints at the photo counter and "run".)

    And this in spite of the fact that Costco actually pays and treats their employees better than similar stores.
    Because it is that cheap for them to make. Every lab I've worked in has used fuji papers, and despite being different companies and over the course of several years, the cost per print that was always quoted is 4.5 american cents worth of paper and chemistry are used per 4x6 prints, and 17 cents per 8x10 print. The labs I worked at used frontier 340's and 390's so our max width was 8 inches, but it seems fairly obvious to me, they're still making good profit off of the $3 11x14.

  3. #143

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    .........And this in spite of the fact that Costco actually pays and treats their employees better than similar stores.
    I don't know what they pay - but thstaff are always friendly and you fin them joking an smiling with each other - a clear sign that they are well treated. I use outfits like that - and for that reason. I bought an Oreck vacuumcleaner after what the company did for their staff after Katrina; and I buy Sargento cheese - after a group of employees who won a BIG lottery said they had no intention of quitting their jobs. Consumers should reward corporate responsibility.

    Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

  4. #144

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    509
    just a heads up you guys. I stopped in at the ritz I used to work at here in Worcester, MA, one of the stores being liquidated....surprisingly they have film cameras there now. There are two N80's with a kit lens I believe, didn't get the price on those, and ready......there are also 2 EOS 1V bodies.....at $1,000 each. B+H has them at $1,699!

  5. #145

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,238
    Images
    4
    Just be careful with liquidation sales. Often the prices are marked UP before they're marked down. Best to compare with other sources as bob100684 has done.

  6. #146

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    346
    I posted in the misc. forum last weekend for the Texas area.

    Last Sunday there were two N80 QD bodies in the Ritz on Westheimer Rd. in West Houston. The clerk scanned one and it came back $172.

    That's close if not identical to the price through Amazon from a third party.

    However, the clerk told another browser in the store that the manager might entertain a lower offer on Monday.

  7. #147

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    I posted in the misc. forum last weekend for the Texas area.

    Last Sunday there were two N80 QD bodies in the Ritz on Westheimer Rd. in West Houston. The clerk scanned one and it came back $172.

    That's close if not identical to the price through Amazon from a third party.

    However, the clerk told another browser in the store that the manager might entertain a lower offer on Monday.
    yeah, they drop the price by X percent every week until that store is closed. Stopping in was one of the weirdest experiences.....we had an old optical minilab there till last march, and as much as I love shooting film, in a consumer based lab you need the whole kiosk digital solution. We had a great team and were turning the place around until January when several of us were let go for various reasons, availability, fixing small problems on the frontier without contacting fuji first.........."wasting chemicals" while doing the required weekly stab dump/remix(according to the ritz tech ops book). Anyway, apparently that store was within 2-3 stores of being kept open.

  8. #148

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    509
    eos 1's now $950, n80's now $219

  9. #149

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8
    The only good thing ritz had going for them was their Warranties. Those things are bulletproof.

  10. #150

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by mynewromantica View Post
    The only good thing ritz had going for them was their Warranties. Those things are bulletproof.
    True, but the customer had to pay for them (like insurance) and the clerk (I'm sorry, sales associate) shoved the warranty down their throat.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin