Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,869   Online: 1021

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmIs4Ever View Post
    What, for having bagged chemicals and enlargers? Hardly "hazardous" in the form they are distributed. MAYBE, I could see them having a problem with liquid chemicals.
    Actually liquid chemicls tend to be less hazardous. Breathing in chemical dust can actually be very bad for your lungs. Especially certain toners.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Today, after many years of restructuring, the 94 year old chain was sold to two liquidation companies after failing to find a buyer to continue to operate its remaining 137 stores (Ritz/Wolf) :

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...liquidate.html
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    It's a sign of the times. The competition is extreme and if you're going to compete on price then customers can only get what they pay for. The reality is that the majority of the staff simply aren't paid enough to give a damn. If you're competing with say CVS at 20 cents a print you have a problem with quality. The chains, for example, don't, (or didn't) have to purchase paper and chemistry - they paid Kodak by the print. They don't have to pay for maintenance of the processors - they buy enough to get that free. It's like the Nikon FM10 - made to a price - not a quality level. So the downward spiral goes. Cheap[er staff, cut maintenance corners etc.

I had a small camera store and studio until a few years ago. You couldn't compete on equipment sales. You'd spend hours with people discussing the right camera etc with them - then they'd come back with the camera you recommended from Best Buy or whatever and ask you to show them how to use it! Plus the box stores would sell this stuff for less than it cost me to buy it. The $100 more that a camera cost from me was the entire gross margin - which on a $1,200 piece of equipment ain't a lot!

CVS would send people in to me to get jammed film out of their cameras. Then they'd take the film back to CVS for the processing.

My niche became B&W film and paper. I worked with all the school kids who would come in for supplies. Evaluate their technique etc. I'd even go to schools and repair and align their enlargers. Then the local Wally World decided to stock Tri-X and 5x7 paper at prices about 10% below my cost! Didn't stop people coming in for help and advice - stopped 'em buying from me though!

One summer my son worked in the photo dept. at Best Buy - he was written up for spending too much time with customers! Apparently his job was not to help customers - it was to sell them stuff!!

"It's "brave new world" out there and and seven days a week of 12 hour days fighting a losing battle just wasn't worth it. Guess what? I'm a part time commercial photographer now!

You guys just had to get me going! Didn't you?
    I'm a former photographic retail manager and the Sales Director of the group of ten camera shops I worked for told one of my staff who was an excellent and knowledgeable saleslady that she was spending too much time with the customers, and that if she couldn't sell a camera in fifteen or twenty minutes she was no good to him !, she was a very good and reliable employee who had worked for me for about five years and was very upset by his remarks, she found another job and left the company shortly afterwards although I asked her to stay to no avail, she told me her husband had insisted that she left, and I can't say I blame him.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ritz (and Boater's World) headquarters are about a half mile from my office.

I went in there a couple of times. My impression was "If this is their flagship and headquarters, I'd hate to see the little stores."

They went bankrupt 10-15 years ago, and closed most of their stores around the country. I think they kept maybe half a dozen.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Leigh - Is this all over your local news? Are there many staff from the corp hq affected?

I will be sorry to see my local Wolf go.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's been mentioned locally, but there's no big deal about it.

I don't know how many staff are affected. After their previous bankruptcy, there were very few cars in the parking lot on weekdays.

Penn Camera went belly up in January, so Ritz is the second local one to go.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Penn Camera went belly up in January, so Ritz is the second local one to go.
    Not quite belly up. They filed a bankruptcy and then found an angel in Calumet. The Rockville store's still open, under the same name, I think. I'll be interested to see how long it stays open. They still don't sell sheet film, or chemicals or enlarging paper at that location, so as far as I'm concerned nothing's changed. They might as well have gone belly up for all I care. I don't know about the downtown DC location.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Penn went belly up. They closed six(?) stores, and sold the main downtown location, Rockville, and Tysons to Calumet.

They have themselves to blame, expanding ridiculously into the Baltimore area, buying Baker(?) camera and opening one in Reisterstown.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad... they were good for quite a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah. I was a regular Penn customer since 1967. I was sad to see them go. Haven't been in the Calumet stores.

- Leigh

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin