Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,916   Online: 1019

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Yup, Ritz Camera filed for Chapter 11.

What killed them? Their photo-finishing business or the lack thereof.

And did you know that they also owned Boaters World?

Read more here.

i believe one of the founder's children started boater's world,
    the ritz near us has a boater's world attached to the ritz ..

the photofinishing at the store near me was very good, i have had
    then make prints for me before, kind of a step above robot, and a step
    down from a pro lab ..
    the store near me also sold pro film and darkroom supplies,
    seamless, and other supplies a pro would use.

oh well, now we have even less choice ..
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    I thought Huron went out of business some time ago. They dropped out of the used camera shows a couple of years ago, and about the same time their website disappeared.
    Still here... so far.

http://www.huroncamera.com/

I usually get over there every two weeks or so.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had mixed experiences shopping at Ritz (and Wolf Camera in Charlotte, NC, which is the same company). At times I have gotten absolutely great service... but, my feeling is that most Ritz Camera employees won't talk to you unless you're waving your money around, and most of them don't actually know that much beyond sales techniques and the latest SPIFFs on cameras. Even if you have been a regular customer and have ocassionally dropped a lot of money on gear... they usually have other things to do. I've heard some of their sales people tell outright lies to uneducated customers, and even seen them sell polarizing filters (not UV/Sky filters) as "lens protection," which is patently ridiculous. But, enough ranting... Chapter 11 doesn't mean they're out of business (yet), but they have definitely lost at least a part of their business because people like me finally had enough abuse/indifference from their sales staff.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ritz/Wolf in orland Park Ill large shopping center sells Ilford photo paper BUT WILL NOT SELL CHEMICALS. So I order from freestyle the tax and shipping charge wash.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It strikes me that this thread is a good instructional for any business owners.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll be sad to see them go out, but only because I get vouchers through work that allow me to essentially get film from Ritz for free (what they actually still have in stock, anyway!)

However, in my experience their service has been abysmal. I will be sorry to see more people lose their jobs - even the manager guy who is always asking if I've ever considered switching to digital

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the one near me doesn't seem to be closing ..
    from what i understand, the reason they stopped selling
    photo chemicals is the laws changed after 911 ...
    and some of the chemistry wasn't permitted to be
    shipped via air .. and seeing they get all their all supplies
    by air freight ... it didn't work out ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    later, don't let the door hit you in arse. they scoffed at me for still using film, so no loss for me. not to mention they catered to digital users which is fine, just that they had already lost my business since doing so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They purchased the US stores of Kits Cameras, a small chain that started in the Kitsilano area of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and expanded for a time into the US. Kits Cameras hasn't been around here for a long time, but there still is/was a "Kits Cameras" in Bellingham, Washington earlier this month, when I was down there.

The owner of Kits Cameras ("Norm Babbs", IIRC) was a neighbour of ours when I was growing up, and I always found it strange seeing Kits Cameras in the USA.

There really isn't anything of interest to me anymore in the Kits Cameras in Bellingham, other than the odd battery or a few mid sized camera bags, but whenever I would talk to any of the very young staff there, they were always at least respectful of my interest in film, and in some cases shot at least some film themselves.

They also had the ability to order anything in that was in the Ritz "catalogue".

I understand the comments about Walmart and Costco, but I never got the impression in that Kits Cameras store that they weren't interested in photography, even if the stuff they had for sale wasn't to my taste.

I think it is sad, and a loss.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks like abandoning film and going all digital is no panacea.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin