Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,154   Online: 876

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The big difference between Ritz and the traditional photo store is the significantly lower salary and benefit packages. You may find some staff passionate and knowledgeable about photography, but they're not going to stay long and much of the staff consists of generic retail workers on their way somewhere else. Camera sales actually used to be a profession, but the low pay rates have turned the staff into an easily expendable commodity.

Good riddance!

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm no fan of Ritz/Wolf myself, but the article at the Online Photographer pointed out that a subsidiary of Fuji Film owns a significant amount of Ritz's stock. And Fuji Film USA, Canon and Nikon are big creditors. So Ritz's Chapter 11 doesn't bode well for two suppliers I do care about (Fuji and Nikon).

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    About 4 years ago I graduated from college. While looking for full time work, I worked at Ritz. While I was explaining things about cameras to their 'top' sales 'associate,' she was stealing my sales! She told me she was trying to instruct me how to register a sale on the system, but took the commission for herself. That lasted 48 hours...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My first and last visit to a Ritz was a little over a year ago in Towson, Maryland. I walked up to the counter, and after pulling the clerk away from his cell phone I asked for some lens tissue. I was given a blank stare. I then asked for a loupe. "What's dat?" replied the clerk. I turned to the few customers in the shop and loudly stated, "Welcome to the McDonalds of camera shops."

You get what you earn!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmIs4Ever View Post
    Good riddance!
    That's the spirit.

Although, you may wish to wait until they close their doors, the storefronts go vacant, the distributors and creditors collect dimes on the dollars owed and all of their employees are out of work before celebrating.

Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    That's the spirit.

Although, you may wish to wait until they close their doors, the storefronts go vacant, the distributors and creditors collect dimes on the dollars owed and all of their employees are out of work before celebrating.
    I feel for creditors, (the few) good employees that worked there, and the landlords that loose money, but ultimately, this company was bad for photography.

I feel for Cord Camera, which recently closed their area stores here. Now that was a good company.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The writing was on the wall when the kiosk replaced photofinishers.
    It was careful processing that gave camera shops their profit margin,
    and enabled them to hire folks who knew what they were doing. But that was 20+ years ago.
    When somebody who worked as a printer earned enough to buy a small house.

THAT is the trend that has caused the problems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jolefler View Post
    an association with Ritz Collectable Cameras in Arizona?

I've dealt with them (Collectables) and was very pleased on several occasions. I recall one incident where one of three filmholders that I bought in a package had no backing plate. I called and they were able to send another holder without my returning the defective one.

Some of their prices are too high, some were considerable bargains. The staff was courteous and professional.

Jo
    No connection at all. The company in Arizona is named for its proprietor, Sandy Ritz. Recently they changed their name from "Ritz Collectible Cameras" to just plain "Collectible Cameras" - I don't know whether Ritz Camera forced them to do it. There's also a disclaimer in the fine print at the bottom of the home page.

Shooter
    35mm
    I enjoyed Ritz, although I seldom bought anything there for reasons others have pointed out. I went in once and asked about a Minolta Maxxum 5 and was told "I have it, but won't sell you one." The sales clerk then proceeded to show me how fast a Nikon N80 could shoot by holding down the shutter button. I was amazed.

Still, it was nice to have 3 camera stores in town, now we have just two.

What kept me away from them was the fact that every time I looked at them for a DSLR or SLR, they were asking $100 more than B&H or Adorama, who are the benchmark.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin