Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,501   Online: 996

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm in my local Penn Camera branch at least once a month, sometimes more often than that. I have bought new from them (Canon 5D outfit, extra 580EX flash and STE2 remote control module), used (most recent was the 35mm F2 for Contax G), and film and processing for color neg. As a general rule they have been pretty flexible with price matching, and when they at least make an effort, I buy from them. But when there's a 10%/$100 price difference even AFTER their price compromise, I'll mail order from New York any day. If it is something for which I want/need customer service, I buy local. If it is something for which I do not, why waste money?

Shooter
    35mm
    Will Wolf camera follow. Not that I care that much.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    And the last time anybody here bought something from a REAL camera shop ?

Well ?
    I buy film, chemicals and C41 and slide processing monthly from my local store (Helix). They even sell Kodachrome.

The last lens I bought new I bought from them too. They couldn't match B&H prices, which were lower than their cost. I still bought from them. Where possible, I would rather support a local chain that employs people in my community and pays local taxes. It's good for me, too, because it means I have a good place for processing and I can always run in for small purchases without having to plan in advance for mail order. Stories like that of BobNewYork really are true.

-Laura

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tlr120 View Post
    Will Wolf camera follow. Not that I care that much.
    As far as I know, Wolf is a part of Ritz, now, in all but name. They use the Ritz Prints branding for their photo finishing and sell Ritz-branded film.

I won't miss them or Ritz if they actually close their stores.
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    trust me.....they aren't.
    Even if they did, they'd write these remarks off as "stupid customers."

Last time I was actually in a Wolf Camera, I told the guy I was trying to deal with (who was ignoring me in favor of wiping counters) that I wouldn't be back. He didn't seem to care, he just kept on wiping counters.

I second the motion for hoping they go Chapter 8! Support your local camera stores and just say no to the chain stores!
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    And the last time anybody here bought something from a REAL camera shop ?

Well ?
    last week at looking glass photo in berkeley, california. bought 2 more packets of d76.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    IMHO it's a little late for the local guy and not just in photography. Streamlined costs, shareholder returns has left us with a need for the big retailers to be all things to all people. I'm sure if the big box management looked at the cost structure to sales volume of the small guy they'd just laugh their ar**s off at the R.O.I. Of course that doesn't stop them wanting the little guys bread and butter business. It's not long ago that if you went into a specialty store all the staff would be active in that specialty on a personal basis. I know a lot of advanced hobbyists and semi-pros who drive school buses or work as couriers to enable them to pay their bills and have time to do serious photography. In fact, when I had the store, the Qualex delivery guy was a musician and poet, (good at both I might add). Someone mentioned earlier that, in the old days, a printer was a profession and earned a living wage. At 15 cents a print it's kinda difficult to live!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    I assume this would include all of the Ritz group stores, such as Inkleys(?).
    Here is a quote from the article on The Online Photographer:

"Ritz has about 800 photo stores in 40 states, operating as Ritz Camera, Wolf Camera, Kits Cameras, Inkley's and The Camera Shops...."

Sounds to me like it includes all the brick and mortar stores they operate.
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    IMHO it's a little late for the local guy and not just in photography. Streamlined costs, shareholder returns has left us with a need for the big retailers to be all things to all people. I'm sure if the big box management looked at the cost structure to sales volume of the small guy they'd just laugh their ar**s off at the R.O.I. Of course that doesn't stop them wanting the little guys bread and butter business. It's not long ago that if you went into a specialty store all the staff would be active in that specialty on a personal basis. I know a lot of advanced hobbyists and semi-pros who drive school buses or work as couriers to enable them to pay their bills and have time to do serious photography. In fact, when I had the store, the Qualex delivery guy was a musician and poet, (good at both I might add). Someone mentioned earlier that, in the old days, a printer was a profession and earned a living wage. At 15 cents a print it's kinda difficult to live!
    All true. I can still hope and dream! There are still some local stores that are doing well, though - Biggs Camera in Charlotte, NC has survived and seems to be thriving, at a time when the other two local stores (Charlotte Camera and Camera World of NC) have both gone under.
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 134k View Post
    last week at looking glass photo in berkeley, california. bought 2 more packets of d76.
    Used 50mm f/1.4 AF Nikkor bought virtually new from Biggs Camera, last month.
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin