Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,197   Online: 751

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The ones that will survive are the stores that have internet sales aswell, Biggs Camera is good example: they sell even through ebay......
    Got a nice RB from them, was sent to Holland cause of PayPal (I'm in Brazil right now) looking forward to it.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you're right Peter. My only fear is that the bricks and mortar overheads make internet sales more attractive. If you're the owner of Biggs you're internet sales need no staff, no expensive retail space - and you don't get interruptions from those pesky walk-in customers. Eventually that means we can't run out and pick up a roll of Tri-X on a Saturday because we need it. If we run out we'll have to wait for the mail! My local butcher went out a few years back and told me that everyone went to the supermarket for meat because of the prices, (with which he couldn't compete) so his sales declined to a few pounds of chopped meat on a Saturday because someone ran low at their barbecue! Those sales, plus the few remaining loyal customers weren't enough to live on after overheads. He also told me about the abusive comments when he announced the closing - mainly from people who may be inconvenienced. And, as he said "those were all "Chopped Meat Charlies" anyway! Some were apparently quite incensed that he was working for a living - not for their convenience!!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    IMHO it's a little late for the local guy and not just in photography. Streamlined costs, shareholder returns has left us with a need for the big retailers to be all things to all people. I'm sure if the big box management looked at the cost structure to sales volume of the small guy they'd just laugh their ar**s off at the R.O.I. Of course that doesn't stop them wanting the little guys bread and butter business. It's not long ago that if you went into a specialty store all the staff would be active in that specialty on a personal basis. I know a lot of advanced hobbyists and semi-pros who drive school buses or work as couriers to enable them to pay their bills and have time to do serious photography. In fact, when I had the store, the Qualex delivery guy was a musician and poet, (good at both I might add). Someone mentioned earlier that, in the old days, a printer was a profession and earned a living wage. At 15 cents a print it's kinda difficult to live!
    About 10 years ago a large grocer invested in a start up that intended to build a system where people would go online order their groceries and the store would deliver to their home. They did a cost analysis and found that it was cheaper for them to wharehouse the food and deliver it than to maintane a store front. The start up failed, but their analysis still seems to be true as seen by B&H, Newegg, Amazon, etc...

The idea of the big box and Wal mart is in part economy of scale, but it's also to remove the expensive labour and a minimization of the store front. The better hardware, photo, electronic's and many of the other specialty and semi-specialty stores had higher paid, better skilled and knowledgable staff. The wal marts and big box stores often have well trained staff, but they are not experts about the product they sell and not well paid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    True JD - well trained to be poorly paid and inexpert in the products. I've called it "The Ascendancy of the Shareholder" where nothing ele matters but that the shareholder returns are maximized. What ever happened to just making a decent living?!?!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by archphoto View Post
    The ones that will survive are the stores that have internet sales aswell, Biggs Camera is good example: they sell even through ebay......
    Hello Peter!

I'm glad that Biggs is doing eBay sales. I bought my first real camera there almost 20 years ago, a Nikon F.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    @JD: Supermarkets: in Holland we have AH, a kind of Safeway (I am not that familiar with the US) and they have both stores and internet.
    Both are doing well.
    The situation in Holland is a bit diferent from the US: the dutch like to do their dayly shopping, it is a kind of outing and there is less parking space.......
    But on camera's: many stores have gone over the years and internet does it's damage. Digital rules unfortunately......

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A little while back, I saw a rather expensive lens on ebay. It was listed by a local shop. I emailed and asked if they had a cash price, as I would come in and buy it in person. They wrote back saying I had to buy it through ebay as once an auction has started, they will not end it early. I responded with "what happens if the lens is knocked off a shelf? would you then end the auction?". Their reply was "we assume your cash would be counterfit, so please do not bid on the item". So, instead of taking care of a local customer, they chose to deal with people who will never walk into their store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't see how to compare customer service at all, between a "real" store and a computer-driven online store.

The latter has no way except customer satisfaction surveys (how many of those do you answer?!) to quantify how many people left in frustration, not finding what they wanted.

Yes, I have had poor service at some storefronts too, but at least there is a way to find a solution. Sometimes that solution is stomping out or giving the kid at the counter a lecture on film products but in either case that is more enjoyable to me in the sense that involves human interaction!

All this reliance on online commerce, involving credit cards and massive dossiers of customer information etc. are eventually going to hit us with all manner of security concerns... if they haven't already. I don't think most folks realize just how easy it is to have your credit card and even your whole identity compromised. I've had issues approaching this in the past, incl. with the auction site, and actually there is damn near nothing anybody can do to help you out when it does happen. Cold hard cash has never been more valuable than it is now, IMHO.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Keith, I gave lectures about photographic equipment to sales people 30 years ago in a time when somebody did not know the diference between 135 and 120.......

As for creditcards and ebay or B+H or who ever: I prefer PayPal, this gives the least of information about yourself to the seller.
    Just paid for the grip for the RB on sale on THIS forum with it.
    Fast and secure for both.

Peter

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I have never had any problems with Ritz. They make great crackers.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin