Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,692   Online: 1200

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a Wolfe camera down the street from me. I have most of my color processing done there and they've always done right by me, reprinting when I know they go a little light or dark. At that particular store I've never had any problems, I'm the "Woman who shoots tons of film." Across town is another matter.

It's still a shame.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    True JD - well trained to be poorly paid and inexpert in the products. I've called it "The Ascendancy of the Shareholder" where nothing ele matters but that the shareholder returns are maximized. What ever happened to just making a decent living?!?!
    I don't know if those days are ever coming back, but the days of the large shareholder dividend seem to be numbered as well.

As for in store purchases, the only local camera store (part of a chain) got out of analog supplies a few years ago. The closest independent photo store to me is Photo Central in Winnipeg, a 2 hour drive away. I was in and dropped a wad of cash on paper and chems last week.

For hard to get items, it's the Interweb though.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format

Guess I was just lucky…

Guess I was just lucky…

I too found that prices were somewhat higher and analog item selection was somewhat minimal…

… But the staff at the two (2) local shops near me were extremely knowledgeable and friendly. In fact in one of those two shops, the manager (who was also a Pro Photographer) and I would often talk Hasselblad and Nikon techno-babble, or darkroom techniques. Some of his other staff, if not busy, would listen in and learn and ask questions.
    One of his senior salesman worked years ago at Spiratone (a long, long gone store and mail order outfit) in NYC, and always knew his trade.
    When they did not have what I was looking for (yes I admit about 95% of the time), they would give me a list of places to check to see if they had it, or they would order it for me!

Living near NYC and Philly, I have my choice of places to go, (some were actually suggested by that manager!) and of course there is always mail order, so I am not mourning this loss.

But as the days of Mom&Pop/ brick and mortar shops are fading, and fading away fast, it’s a little sad…. it’s a little sad. Yup, another one bites the dust.

Guess I was just lucky!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't heard the name Spiratone in ages, but remember them well.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format

Spiratone... boy did I drop a bundle there!

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I haven't heard the name Spiratone in ages, but remember them well.

Now that was a store.... much of the stuff I bought (some of which are approaching 40 years old.. wow I'm getting old ) still function fine!

That store, IMHO, closed up shop (no pun intended) way before its time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Spiratone - oh yes! It was like a treasure trove - hundreds of accessories no-one else had. I still use some studio clips and small table top silk screened backdrops I got there. I went to the one in Queens - don't know if they had any other locations.
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format

It's a Small World after all.... It's a Small ....

Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    Spiratone - oh yes! It was like a treasure trove - hundreds of accessories no-one else had. I still use some studio clips and small table top silk screened backdrops I got there. I went to the one in Queens - don't know if they had any other locations.
    Yup... Northern Blvd., Flushing.. just before the bridge.

Went there numerous times. When I was older and was in the city, often went to the one on W.31st right across the street from Willobough-Peerles.

I grew up in Flushing, Linden Towers apts. (across from the bowling ally). Went to Flushing HS, and then Queens College. Spent more time at Spiratone and the Big "A" than in class

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    And the last time anybody here bought something from a REAL camera shop ?

Well ?
    Since Adray closed their store in Troy, I have been a 2-hour round trip from a real camera shop. I have been buying film on-line for several years now, since I have more 120 in my reefer than Adray had in their store. I do go to Cameramart to buy E-6 kits which they have been selling at competitive prices, even when gas was $4 a gallon the gas just slightly less than shipping. If they stop selling that, I will have no reason to go there anymore either.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

I guess the question to ask is this: Is it better to have a local store (that almost everyone here unanimously agrees sucked) around, or be stuck with mail order?

Fortunately, the Dodd Camera company here provides exceptional local service, at about the same price, after shipping, as you would pay from B&H.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never know - the local guy may come back if retail space falls enough. Hell if there are farmers markets in NYC - who knows!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin