Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,780   Online: 1055

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    AgX,

Are Franke & Heidecke the hardware / camera manufacturer, or is that too simplistic?

Tom.
    That's too simplistic. You have the company above, manufacturing MF TLRs and SLRs and projectors, but also Rollei Metric who also manufacture cameras (for photogrammetric use and only digital by now). The third company does only name licensing and rebranding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now I'm confused. Does the original post refer to the F&H filing, or (since it used the name "Rollei") to a different portion of the empire?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is Franke & Heidecke (the successor of the original Rollei company with that TLR) who are in insolvency.

Edit:
    But `Rollei´ had already at least two near-death experiences in the 70's. So, who knows...
    Last edited by AgX; 03-02-2009 at 07:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    That's too simplistic. You have the company above, manufacturing MF TLRs and SLRs and projectors, but also Rollei Metric who also manufacture cameras (for photogrammetric use and only digital by now). The third company does only name licensing and rebranding.
    The Rollei 6x6 projector series looks like a good product line.

Tom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What a bloody shame.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've updated the thread title for a little more clarity.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a truly sad thought to see great engineering companies like F&H being swept away by the tide of fashion. The Rolleiflex -- especially the TLR -- is a timeless photographic icon, and if F&H finally go the way of the dinosaurs, it will leave a gap that none will fill.

Thankfully my Rolleiflex cameras will continue to work today, tomorrow and in the future. I just have to be extra careful with them now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    It's a truly sad thought to see great engineering companies like F&H being swept away by the tide of fashion. The Rolleiflex -- especially the TLR -- is a timeless photographic icon, and if F&H finally go the way of the dinosaurs, it will leave a gap that none will fill.

Thankfully my Rolleiflex cameras will continue to work today, tomorrow and in the future. I just have to be extra careful with them now.
    This thread has made me realize - I have been a Rollei TLR fan for 40 years, have owned at least 10 examples and have a Rolleflex T and Rolleicord V now, but - I've never bought a single piece of Rollei gear new!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget they cooperate with Leaf and Sinar with their latest camera, so they are not that far off the fashion.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I will point out that had people been buying the new Rolleiflexes the company would have made money. But since the camera sold very poorly what is the point of having a company making them? I am the only person I personally know who has an FX. It is a nice camera but too expensive for amateurs and not viable really as a professional tool. And it is arguably no improvement over the seemingly millions of existing older style Rolleis that can still be rebuilt and made good as new. Mostly all you saw was people complaining of the build quality of the FX and the ridiculous prices of the Wide and Tele. So if that portion of the company goes under, it is as it should be.
    Dennis

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin