Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,115   Online: 735

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A new camera has only just been released by Fuji/Cosina

Ian

Ian: So what? It's not a Rollei TLR. . .

Yeah, it is sad to see TLRs go, but God, the writing has been on the wall for quite a long time, at least 20-30 years.

Only advantage that a TLR had really was that you could, if you knew what you were looking for, catch blinks because there's no mirror lockup issue with the double lens.

But, yet again, a Rangefinder does just as good a job, or you can watch for blinks just looking at the subject.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmIs4Ever View Post

Yeah, it is sad to see TLRs go, but God, the writing has been on the wall for quite a long time, at least 20-30 years.

Only advantage that a TLR had really was that you could, if you knew what you were looking for, catch blinks because there's no mirror lockup issue with the double lens.

But, yet again, a Rangefinder does just as good a job, or you can watch for blinks just looking at the subject.
    Sorry but I have to reply to this a little. Sure the original designers were gone and the company owned by different people but the new FX is definitely a Rollei TLR. If you have both, as I do you find that even the strap hangers and back doors are interchangeable and most all the design is the same with a couple of simplifications as well as a better metering system installed. I find the new Rollei is seemingly better in every way than the late 2.8F white face I have. That said it is still over priced.

As to the TLR being no better than a range finder, actually you can do much better composing through a matched lens than through a range finder and even though a TLR seems like an SLR in use it has all the advantages of a rangefinder with no mirror flap and hand holdability.

That said I am not particularly sad to see the demise of the TLR because there are so many available in the used market. Also I am guessing the value of my used FX just took a step up.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good point I misread and thought cameras

Ian

I'm not debating technicalities, guys, just pointing out that the TLR was a technological marvel in the 20th century, but it has plateaued in every conceivable field at least 30 years ago. I've used TLRs for work, still do sometimes, but, at best, the used ones are valued because of their *low* price value. They're a great way to get into MF photography, but making new ones at a premium price is almost counterintuitive.

There's a reason why Mamiya gave this product the axe almost two decades ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    For those of us who CANT afford Rollei, I guess it doesnt matter much. For those of us who CAN, there is plenty of stock out there to satisfy demand (at least for a while). Buy 'em and use 'em. Or dont.

paulie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Fra...-ist-insolvent

I would imagine that Sinar might pick up tooling in any liquidation, in order to continue the Hy6. They do make a film back for that body, and the lenses are somewhat compatible with Rollei 6003 and 6008 models.

If nothing else, maybe I'll be able to pick up a used 6008i in the near future at a more reasonable price. When the Hy6 came out, prices on Rollei 6000 lenses, and then older 6008i bodies, went up on the used market. While I hate to see this company go, their products are rugged enough that there will be nice used examples for many more years.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this the end of MF projectors?
    No, Kindermann still produces (or at least still sells) the 66T (link).

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree that when more people would've bought new Rollei TLR's the company probably would have gotten more means to stay alive. The secondhand market for this kind of equipment is price-wise far more interesting. Plus that they are build to last a life-time. Still it's too bad seeing them go despite it being a matter of 1+1=2.

Oh well, we still have this "competitor":
    http://www.random-good-stuff.com/200...mera-in-color/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The HY6 Sold by Sinar and Leaf also, is a brand new camera designed to compete with the Hasselblad. This has ramifications for Sinar and Leaf also.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin