Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,883   Online: 901

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very sad. Much as I liked the H'blad 2000 series, I LOVE my Rollei 6008AFs and Schneider lenses.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    I wonder how this will affect Sinar, Leaf, and the Hy6, seeing as F&H was the company actually building the camera.
    Here in Germany we hear that some people at Leica did not jump out of their skin. The end of the Hy6/Sinar/Leaf would leave just three digital middle format systems in the market, and that is Hasselblad H, Mamiya ZD/PhaseOne and Leica S2. if I were a camera manufacturer, I would probably be focused on sales, and today - sorry to mention that - it is not analog cameras where you make money to survive the crisis, simply because most analog photographers buy used equipment at bargain prices today.

BTW, Leica has stopped the Leica R system (that is confirmed) and will replace it with a DSLR system rebuilt from scratch (that is a sustained rumour).

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But `Rollei´ had already at least two near-death experiences in the 70's. So, who knows...
    I don't know when I stopped counting the Voigtländer near-death experiences and take-overs... and they share some of their history with Rollei. Leica has a good list of crises as well, I think it has almost become a part of their brand identity

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    I don't know when I stopped counting the Voigtländer near-death experiences and take-overs... and they share some of their history with Rollei. Leica has a good list of crises as well, I think it has almost become a part of their brand identity
    But do understand that it is not (that says: not) Rollei that is insolvent.
    It is Franke and Heidecke. A rather new company that thought it could make a success of what Rollei could not.

Rollei is still going strong. They just stopped making MF cameras some years ago (and that will be why).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If I get it right, Rollei is just the company that licenses the brand. I am also sure it will stay somehow for years. Voigtländer is also just a brand owned by the german Ringfoto company group.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But as Klopstock said `Rollei GmbH´ is not a manufacturing company. It is Franke & Heidecke who continue(d) the production of MF cameras and projectors for pictorial use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's right.
    Rollei was (!) the manufacturer of Rolleiflex cameras, until they realized that it was not going well, and got out in time.
    Franke & Heidecke then formed, because some other people thought it would go well for them.
    It didn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Saw the Franke & Heidecke booth at PMA a few days ago. While the booth was not overrun with activity, the 3 reps. were showing off their cameras with pride. The Hy6 (with a film back) was obviously the centerpiece and it's a really nice system. They were also demonstrating a current 6000 series model, and the current wide and normal TLRs.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    That's right.
    Rollei was (!) the manufacturer of Rolleiflex cameras, until they realized that it was not going well, and got out in time.
    Franke & Heidecke then formed, because some other people thought it would go well for them.
    It didn't.
    If F&H lowered the price or improved gratly the rolleiflex design, maybe this wouldn't have happened.
    When did Rollei quit the 'flex manufacture, and when was this F&H formed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a lot of misinformation in this thread, Franke and Heidecke have always made Rollei cameras, the company was bought by Samsung in the mid 90's, a management buyout at the end of the decade then two or three years later it came under control of a Danish investment company.

This Danish company split the business into two the Rollei company who just trade re-badged products under the prestigious name and Franke and Heidecke who make the cameras and projectors that Rollei is famous for. Most cynics at the time felt that the Danish company were cashing in on the Rollei name.

Franke and Heidecke is the same company who have always made Rollei camera's etc albeit under different ownership. One reason that has been highlighted for the current insolvency is large undisclosed debts & liabilities that were not made known to the new owners last year.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin