Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,718   Online: 758

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's a lot of misinformation in this thread, Franke and Heidecke have always made Rollei cameras, the company was bought by Samsung in the mid 90's, a management buyout at the end of the decade then two or three years later it came under control of a Danish investment company.
    By that time, it no longer was called Franke and Heidecke.

This Danish company split the business into two the Rollei company who just trade re-badged products under the prestigious name and Franke and Heidecke who make the cameras and projectors that Rollei is famous for. Most cynics at the time felt that the Danish company were cashing in on the Rollei name.
    They are.
    They also stopped building MF cameras, because after the debacle of the 6008AF, things looked very dim for Rollei MF cameras.
    And they were right.

What they (cleverly, cynics might say) managed to do was find some rather less clever people who were easily persuaded that they should buy that branch of the company, and have a go at it.
    Not only that, but they also managed to extract a licence fee from that new company, so even though they sold the risk off to blue-eyed "Franke & Heidecke, the second coming", they retained a way to generate profits from Rollei cameras for as long as it would take F&H Mk II to run down.

Too cynical? Perhaps. But not too far off the truth.

Franke and Heidecke is the same company who have always made Rollei camera's etc albeit under different ownership.
    It takes quite a stretch of the imagination to see F&H Mk II as the same company.
    And it isn't. It's a new company (formed in 2005, Prest_400) who bought all the Rollei making stuff from Rollei (because Rollei new it was a dead end, etc. )

One reason that has been highlighted for the current insolvency is large undisclosed debts & liabilities that were not made known to the new owners last year.
    That's right.

Among the skeletons that came out of the closet however also were the burden of having to pay Rollei (you know: that company that's still doing well), and the disappearing believe that they (F&H Mk II) could do what Rollei thought was not doable.

Still a pitty.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well regardless of who is operating the machines and assembling the camera, the FX is still a very well made and beautiful Rolleiflex. The end of production just makes me glad I got one. And I am glad I got it before the latest skyrocket pricing taking it from 3000 to 5000. Just speaking for the TLRs though if the sales price has to be so high then it is not a viable product. You can get an older F model rebuilt and take a vacation to Mexico and still save money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just hope that the parts will be bought by camera repair people, instead of being discarded.
    Charles Hohenstein

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be fair (and correct) that F&H are in insolvency (or rather have applied for that legal status) does not neccessarily mean they are out of business.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But reading that they already have tried to find a way out, i think the only thing that could be hoped for is that some company is lying in wait, waiting for the receiver to sell whatever there is to sell and scoop it up for far less than a rescue attempt would cost.
    I doubt that there is a way for F&H Mk II to prolong itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Leaf (actually owned by Eastman Kodak) or Sinar (owned by Jenoptik) want to continue the Hy6 system, they have two choices. One is making a deal for the tooling and skilled workers. The other is to wait until a liquidation of F&H, and buy what is left at bargain prices. The downside of the second choice is that they could run out of inventory and repair parts prior to liquidation going through. I don't imagine Leaf doing this, because EK is not in great shape financially. However, Jenoptik might find it of interest to continue the Hy6 under Sinar, and likely find a customer in Leaf. Also, due to the expense of these systems, and the need for back-up, they do accept film backs; when an MFDB takes a dump, then you put the film back on to complete the shoot.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went to the Rollei website and sent them an e-mail asking where I could get repairs performed on my 6000 cameras and lens in the future. I received a response from a Herr Dietmar Kanzer, Marketing Manager, that stated:

"We had a meeting with the sequestor (trustee??) last Friday and the message was: the company is going on. He (didn't specify who) will look for new partners and shareholders."

So it would appear that all is not doom and gloom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    They are fighting, that's for shure, I hate to see them go.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwil6969 View Post
    I went to the Rollei website and sent them an e-mail asking where I could get repairs performed on my 6000 cameras and lens in the future. I received a response from a Herr Dietmar Kanzer, Marketing Manager, that stated:

"We had a meeting with the sequestor (trustee??) last Friday and the message was: the company is going on. He (didn't specify who) will look for new partners and shareholders."

I wish them the best of luck. Apparently other companies making expensive cameras are managing to survive, so it appears that it can be done. But I would be the last person to suggest what they need to do differently, since I have no business sense at all.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jwil6969 View Post

I have got the same information from a different source. Currently the production is going on.
    Let's hope the best that they find a new investor and can stay in the market.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin