Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,071   Online: 1130

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    These "specialty" Photo Stores are not going to be very profitable. They have to charge high prices to pay for the cost of operating Stores. Qualex would have been viable if it hadn't vested so much of its business in Walmart who summarily dumped them! Qualex also conducted daily delivery which is too expensive. I'm advising Fuji on how to take over Qualex's business, and to cut delivery costs to their affiliated Stores. Delivery costs are the one part of Film developing where there is room to cut out the fat.

Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz
    Granted nobody is ever going to use film for snapshooting of family pics (except me) but there are people who could be persuaded to use film.
    People who don't use Film to capture their precious family memories will be very sorry in ten years hence when they can't find their Digital Picture Files!
    Mr. Terry Mester

www.zeuter.com/~tlmester

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    People who don't use Film to capture their precious family memories will be very sorry in ten years hence when they can't find their Digital Picture Files!
    too true. Digital information is too easy to lose, unless the said person happens to be a backup-psychopath.

My family's had a digital camera since 5 or 4 years ago and honestly I think none of the pictures taken on it still exist, whereas I've still got a 8x10(i think?) color negative of my very young self and my grandfather floating around the house somewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still have photos from my grade 10 photography class of my friends and I goofing off and trying to learn the art of photography. I also have negatives from countless snowboard trips and other memory-saving moments. However, I can't find that digital file of a photo that got published in Guitar Player Magazine (2006) to save my life that was only 2 years ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have every digital picture I've cared to keep since 2002 and many before that on my current main computer and also backed up, but there's negatives from last year that I've mislaid and one strip that almost got accidentally thrown out in the trash.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    You mean like the billions across the globe that have severely damaged unprintable negatives in their possession? Deteriorated prints? You mean to tell me some digital shooters are in that same boat?

Lets get real, unemotional, and knock off the religion, and xenophobia, shall we? The TRUTH is digital shooters and film shooters that don't archive PROPERLY will be sorry in the decades to come.

I love film no less then the next poster here, but lets stop with the bashing and outright lies about other photographic media ;-)

It's all good, and instead of focusing on the medium, lets focus on the pictures, the compositions, when done right, transcend the medium.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Amateurs don't want to use film. It's the hypnotoad brainwaves. We just need more people like my grandma, or maybe some people to convince budding amateur photographers that film is cool. Granted nobody is ever going to use film for snapshooting of family pics (except me) but there are people who could be persuaded to use film.
    This "budding" amateur, barely a quarter century old, shoots film 90% of the time.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    It's all good, and instead of focusing on the medium, lets focus on the pictures, the compositions, when done right, transcend the medium.
    Take a good hard look at the way film responds to light. Composition is one thing - but light is another. I've seen plenty of well composed and well lit crap, yes, but light and film work together. Perhaps my eyes are just fucked or too oldschool for the current crop of Facebook addicted digital-universe kids - but I know the medium when I see it and I know why I choose this medium (film).
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin