Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,659   Online: 884

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 122 film?

Shooter
    Holga

122 film?

hello all,
    I am in the process of buying a folding pocket kodak but i'd also like to put my hands on some 122 film to make the camera in "perfect" working condition (as it is meant to be a present). Does anyone know where I can purchase it?
    Many thanks

Elisa

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Shooter
    Holga
    thanks!
    ...does anyone know if there is a place in the UK?!?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you sure you don't want to find a folder that uses 120 film instead?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Elisa,

I don't know if you are aware of the actual size of the film (3 1/4" x 5 1/2", if I recall correctly). I don't know of any other source. Some people (me included) re-spool their own obsolete formats from cut down cirkut film or aerial film, which is difficult to find and only available in large, expensive rolls. This is a big project. It is also a bit tricky to develop the film, although it can be done by see-sawing it through the chemicals. It is a large enough format to make decent contact prints. One can use paper negatives cut to size, or orthochromatic film in single sheets cut to size under an appropriate safe-light, or panchromatic sheet film in the dark - also a lot of work. It depends on the recipient of the gift. Would they be happy doing all this? If they have a darkroom and enjoy a challenge, it could be a lot of fun.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At this very moment I am in the process of converting a Kodak 3-A Pocket Folding Camera to use the 120 film roll. It should be a piece of cake. I'll post the final results if everything is successful.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Holga
    wow!
    thanks to all for your help. DannL, let me know how it goes and...good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have six rolls of the stuff, VP122. It is old, Kodak stopped making it in the early 70's. A Nikor reel for 122 film recently went on ebay for well over $100. NO WAY was I going to spend that much money for a reel. I have been developing it by the see-saw method. It works, but is a PITA. I'm going to try and modify a Unicolor plastic reel to take the film, it is about 90mm wide. Another project for the future.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    122 is a very interesting format, because it was the one designed to produce 'postcard' size prints by contact. My grandparents used theirs until the film ran out, one online source cites 1971. If any extra large roll film format deserved to be resurrected this is possibly the one. How much support would there be for a facility which was geared up to make up these discontinued formats? As we're talking about stimulating film use at all levels, maybe getting film into antique roll cameras would be a positive move?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If we were to resurrect 116 and 122, that would get a lot of old folders clicking away again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin