Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,402   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

URGENT question on light bulbs

EU has decided to ban the production on "old fashioned" light bulbs; starting september 1 this year (starting with 100 watts and above...

then gradually outfacing all bulbs in the next couple of years..

We use 150watt lightbulbs in several of our enlargers.

What should we do?

hoard as the sweedish people seem to do?

or is there a subtitute been made for all of us with this problem?

As the bulba are opaque (?), maybe it doesn't matter what is inside the glass, as long as the power is sufficient?

Any light (sic.) on this?

what do you do?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a fluorescent lightbulb in my Durst 138S. It has considerable warmup time, but it is "cold" enough that I can start and stop exposure with a lens cap. Once I enter the darkroom it stays on until I'm finished for the day.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is a poorly thought out law.

1. You can hope the madness passes before you are inconvenienced.
    2. There is always eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    What should we do?

hoard as the sweedish people seem to do?
    Wow! I bought up a bunch of enlarger bulbs because of such laws. I did not know that I am Swedish! I will run and tell my momma because she does not know that either!

My hair is not blond! Please advise!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The light bulbs for your enlargers are available today, and cheap. I would buy 100 for each enlarger, and don't worry about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gandolfi;

You might ask them how to safely dispose of them due to the mercury content. I pointed that out to an electrical department supervisor in a local store recently and he didn't know that the little bulbs contained any but he did know that they had to dispose of the long tubular bulbs as a hazardous material.

He said that he would bring it up with management, but I doubt if anything will come of it.

In any event, if enough people point this out, maybe something will be done in a rational fashion.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    In any event, if enough people point this out, maybe something will be done in a rational fashion.
    PE, with all due respect, do you really think that politicians can do anything rationally?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve;

To be honest, no, but I was thinking more along the lines of us and store sales people and management. I have hopes for the "little people" of whom I count us all in all good will.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd stock up now just in case, but are they really not making allowances for bulbs used in technical applications, which are relatively small in the grand scheme of things? It seems there is always going to be a lot of equipment out there using specialized bulbs like enlarger bulbs for which there isn't a ready replacement.

I pointed out in another thread that I think bulbs are not particularly advanced technology, and if you ever have occasion to look for a specialized bulb for a projector or something, it seems that thousands of obscure bulbs for obsolete equipment are always readily available, so I'm not too worried about laws that are mainly aimed at residential and ambient commercial lighting.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I'd stock up now just in case, but are they really not making allowances for bulbs used in technical applications, which are relatively small in the grand scheme of things? It seems there is always going to be a lot of equipment out there using specialized bulbs like enlarger bulbs for which there isn't a ready replacement.

I pointed out in another thread that I think bulbs are not particularly advanced technology, and if you ever have occasion to look for a specialized bulb for a projector or something, it seems that thousands of obscure bulbs for obsolete equipment are always readily available, so I'm not too worried about laws that are mainly aimed at residential and ambient commercial lighting.
    I really hope you're right.
    My problem is, that until now, I havn't got hold in a person here in Denmark, that can tell me what to do...
    And the time is running fast! Coming tuesday, it might be ower!
    (then I could buy 100 bulbs pr enlarger.. (and I am talking 15-20 enlargers, and a pricy item... How we're able to afford that, I don't know..)

How about a photographic asylum in USA?

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin