Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,484   Online: 1101

Shooter
    35mm

Good papers for carbro?

Hi all--

I've slowly been collecting information about carbon printing, and in the process, I've also learned about carbro printing. It has me curious, and I'd like to try it, but I'm wondering about available papers.

It seems like the non-supercoated papers that have traditionally been recommended for carbro are no longer produced, e.g. Kentmere Doc Art. I've been having a devil of a time finding any up-to-date info on good papers for this process. I suppose this may mean that not a lot of people are doing it.

Anybody out there have some recommendations for a non-supercoated bromide paper?

Thanks--

Greg

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmikol View Post
    Hi all--

I've slowly been collecting information about carbon printing, and in the process, I've also learned about carbro printing. It has me curious, and I'd like to try it, but I'm wondering about available papers.

It seems like the non-supercoated papers that have traditionally been recommended for carbro are no longer produced, e.g. Kentmere Doc Art. I've been having a devil of a time finding any up-to-date info on good papers for this process. I suppose this may mean that not a lot of people are doing it.

Anybody out there have some recommendations for a non-supercoated bromide paper?

Thanks--

Greg

Greg,

I used to print with carbro but switched to carbon some years ago and have not tried any of the papers currently on the market. However, I have tried many papers as the final support for carbon and did run across a few that do not appear to have the gelatin super-coating. For example, Slavich Unibrom 160 and Foma Fomabrom Variant 112 both appear to have a very soft gelatin emulsion that I suspect would work quite well for carbro.

Carbro is an interesting process and makes sense for people who are good silver printers and don't want to invest in the light sources and vaccum frames needed for contact printing carbon.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mac McCowan has been doing Carbro commercially for quite a while. I don't know if he will tell you what paper he uses for his enlargements but you can try.

Website

Website #2

I have done some Carbros, but not for some time (20+ years) as I do Carbon today. At that time I used Ilfobrom matte to make the enlarged image. I do not know if that formulation is available today in the same form it was then.

Do not use a hardening fixer for making your enlarged prints. Papers that were suitable in 1982 were Ilfobrom matte, semi-matte; Ilford Galerie matte; Agfa 113, or Agfa Portriga Rapid 118. You can also make prints on a fine grain positive film, but that's getting kind of costly these days. The developer should not have a hardener, and neither should the stop bath have acid.

Mr. McCowan is probably your best source of current information on this subject.

John

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    ...a few that do not appear to have the gelatin super-coating. For example, Slavich Unibrom 160 and Foma Fomabrom Variant 112 both appear to have a very soft gelatin emulsion that I suspect would work quite well for carbro.

Carbro is an interesting process and makes sense for people who are good silver printers and don't want to invest in the light sources and vaccum frames needed for contact printing carbon.
    Thanks for the info, Sandy. I had kept digging after I posted this, and had come across those 2, as well as Kentmere Fineprint VC Finegrain as possibilities. If I get really ambitious, I may try all 3 (and be sure to report back here).

I'm anxiously waiting for your book to arrive...I'm looking forward to trying both carbon and carbro. I've loved the look of the few high-relief carbon prints that I've seen in person.

--Greg

Shooter
    Instant Films
    thanks for this useful information. i like this posting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey guys; wanting to resurrect this thread from the ashes. I'm curious about modern paper options for carbro. Indeed, these two papers, designed for bromoil, seem to be recommended.

http://www.bromoil.com/products-supplies.html
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/99082-...10-25?sc=24100

Are there any others that would work? The Kentmere does appear to have a supercoating, and I'm wondering why this isn't a problem? Or are the requirements of bromoil & carbro aligned but not congruent?

I need a refresher on bromoil I guess, but in the meantime, whaddyouknow?

UPDATE: I emailed David Lewis (first link) and indeed the paper is suitable for carbro as well as gelabrome, which I had never heard of. Anyways, that's awesome.
    Last edited by holmburgers; 01-13-2011 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin