Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,270   Online: 1055

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just when I was thinking about buying a pack film holder for the Fuji 4x5 films.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This will be sad if true, as I actually use 100B professionally for proofing. It took me a few tests after switching from Polaroid, but I managed to get TX in HC-110 to match the 100B almost exactly at the same EI. But guess I wasn't burning enough of it...

If instant pack film disappears it will spell the end of using film on commercial jobs for me (I proof 35mm with a pack film camera too). Will be bummed when that day arrives.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Just when I was thinking about buying a pack film holder for the Fuji 4x5 films.
    Same here! I'm wading through back-episodes of the Inside Analog Photo podcast. One I listened to just this week (July 18th ep. w/ Michael Bryant, IIRC) talked about using the negative from the pack films, similar to working with Type 55. That sounds like loads of fun... Was hoping to use FP-100B or FP-400B...

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never used instant films of any kind. Can someone explain to me what this means for the instant-film situation? I understand that polaroid is making no film whatsoever but that Fuji was making the kind of instant films you can use in a large-format camera. Is fuji discontinuing it all too, or will there still be other Fuji instant films? What is different about the films they are discontinuing?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I've never used instant films of any kind. Can someone explain to me what this means for the instant-film situation? I understand that polaroid is making no film whatsoever but that Fuji was making the kind of instant films you can use in a large-format camera. Is fuji discontinuing it all too, or will there still be other Fuji instant films? What is different about the films they are discontinuing?
    I have used instant films for 40 years as testing and proofing for clients when shooting 4x5 transparencies. Since I shoot color for clients I have always used color instant films. This won't impact me much, but there are many photographers that use instant films in both b/w and color as final products for the unique one-of-a-kind images that can be made. Fewer tools in the toolbox mean less creativity.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    This will be sad if true, as I actually use 100B professionally for proofing. It took me a few tests after switching from Polaroid, but I managed to get TX in HC-110 to match the 100B almost exactly at the same EI.
    What, what, what? You were changing your final product, the thing you have to be happy with, so that it would match your test material??? :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This sucks,

What I don't really understand is why they are discontinuing the 400 ISO variant, while maintaining the 3000 ISO... in terms of proofing, it would be much more logical to maintain 400 ISO, and get rid of the 3000 ISO stuff, as all the major films like TMax 400 and TXP 320, HP5 are close or 400 ISO.

However, strangely also, Fuji, if I may believe the Japan Exposures website never produced a 4x5 400ISO instant film (only a smaller variant, not fully covering 4x5 image format), while they did produce an an uncommon 500 ISO 4x5 variant (FP-500 B45).
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    What, what, what? You were changing your final product, the thing you have to be happy with, so that it would match your test material??? :o
    You could say that, but it's really not that simple. Often for jobs I need a work-flow that is set up so what I proof on the instant is what I get on the contact sheet / film, or very close anyway. Period. The old Polaroid had a look and response that when I got a shot I liked on it, I knew what to do to the film to reflect that. Then I switched to Fuji, dropped it into that process, and when I got what I wanted on it the film didn't match, so I had to change things til it did.

But I'm talking controlled situations here: lit, controlled, sets, etc. And the instant film is only a link in that chain, so it's not just about bending the film+dev, but really everything, to insure a workflow that is reliable and repeatable.

Make sense?

For most editorial and my own projects it's different, of course. And, luckily for the way I work, I've never personally been that concerned with or connected to specific materials, I've been able to bend films+devs+digitals to the ideas. But it's still a nuisance when something that works well threatens to go away...as someone said, a tool lost.
    Last edited by GraemeMitchell; 10-24-2009 at 11:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds backwards to me.
    You have to know what your film - the thing that will be the end product - is capable of doing, and use the dreadful instant film (bad contrast and tonality) to check for surprises.
    I never hear of anyone tweaking the film so it would match the Polaroid before.

Film is much, much more capable than that instant film stuff. Seems a terrible waste to mistreat it so it mimics what you get on the instant proof thingy.

Instant film 'proofs' only served one 'real' purpose anyway, and that was to give clients present at the shoot an idea that they too mattered ("Here's the Polaroid. What do you think?") and/or that you are a professional using all the professional tricks available, so their money was well spent.
    A Polaroid will show nothing you couldn't and shouldn't see yourself, while the big difference between it and a real photo takes your experience and knowledge to judge how the final thing can be despite the limited quality the Polaroid shows (you couln't give clients Polaroids without ensuring them that the image on film would be much better, so not to worry).
    As such, sooner a hindrance than a help for your workflow.

Shooter
    35mm
    So, as I asked before, what instant films are still available?
    f/22 and be there.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin