Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,028   Online: 900

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't understand your question. How am I supposed to compress a non-accordion bottle?

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naugastyle View Post
    I don't understand your question. How am I supposed to compress a non-accordion bottle?
    I thought you're talking about a regular accordion bottle. My mistake.

All I wanted to know, what the volume difference is between compressing and not compressing your accordion bottles. When I did that with mine, the difference was surprisingly small. I think their functionality is overstated.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the brown bottles I get for free from my pharmacist in witch the homeopathic tinctures are coming. As these products are no chemicals, not hazardous nor reactive, and can easy be diluted in water, these bottles are clean just by rinsing a little with hot water. I get then in 0,5 l, 1 l, 2,5 l and the large ones have wide necks.
    To stop the developer oxidising by the air, I blow a little CFC free KENAIR air duster in the bottle just before closing it.

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My gut tells me that accordion bottles are neither as good as the manufacturers would claim - nor as bad as their detractors would have us believe. I suspect that a 'squeezed" accordion bottle is more effective for a month or so than a partially full rigid container. They have their place but are not a panacea. It's clear from some of the posts here that some find them effective for up to six months. Personally I don't store stock or working strength solutions that long - but for a week or two I've found them very effective. This morning I was about to throw out some partially used print fixer stored in an accordion bottle for the past 10 days. Purely in light of this thread I tossed in a piece of old, unexposed Tri-X to check the clearing time - it was 1m 45 sec, which is about the same clearing time as fresh fixer for me. (I then tossed it!) To make this a true test, of course, I should try this with fresh fixer in accordion bottles and in full plastic bottles and in full and partially full glass bottles and then repeat with used fixer. But that's just not going to happen! The accordion bottles work for me and for the uses to which I put them.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Used them for years. I would compress them to the point that the fluid would reach the top and slightly overflow and then I closed the cap. Never had a problem with air getting in and could keep developer for 3 or 4 months. Maybe longer but I would dump and mix fresh. As long as you have fluid in them I think rinsing is all you need to clean and I would always refill with the same developer. Never used for fix or anything else.

When in use, they will not stand straight but its not a problem. No longer use as I think amber glass is best and use 250ml filled to the brim and use one shot. Safer and superior than using plastic food bottles IMHO. I think in trying to keep c41 this is especially important.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Time to wake this old thread up.

Newbie on accordion bottles, but got two of em with liquids in here now. I'm better safe than sorry so I wrap them up in plastic zip-lock bags. Should any problems arise, there's a second "shield", which probably should help protecting against oxygene too...

http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Large Format
    as others have said, the accordion bottles are bad news. You're far better off with a bunch of plain glass bottles. When I mix up a gallon of stock it goes into four quart sized glass bottles with poly cone caps. Developers like Dektol, D-76 and D-23 easily keep for the advertised 6 months in full bottles. I've had a bottle of replenished D-23 last over a year and a half.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree with others, as accordion bottles never worked all that well. A much cheaper and easier method is to use an old squeezable soda bottles, as you can see when squeezing when any air gap is closed off.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My own empirical evidence shows, after about five years of using the same accordion bottles, that they work.

My three-year-old replenished Xtol developer, (and Edwal 12 before it), is stored in a 2liter plastic DATA Tainer bottle, and my replenisher is stored in a 2liter accordion bottle and the remaining 3liters in single 1liter bottles. When the accordion bottle is just under half full, I'll pitch another 1liter bottle full into it to fill it back up. I go perpetually like this, and I am yet to have a single issue in five years. The Xtol is stored for a long time like this, up to a year, always with full activity.

Same thing with my Ethol LPD print developer, which I also replenish. 2liter accordion bottle for the replenisher, and the rest of the gallon kit in 1liter smaller Data-tainer bottles.

What is it that makes people have bad things happen to them with the accordion bottles? I see absolutely no difference in the quality of my developers with accordion bottles compared to normal bottles.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    For long time storage of mixed x-tol I've bought two "brown/orange" opaque normal plastic bottles, and then I have planned to use one of the accordion bottles I have for "working mix" and refill it when empty from the normal plastic bottles (2 liters at a time). Right now it's just a bit less than 1 liter in the accordion and 2x2+ liters in the normal opaque bottles. I am sure this will be just fine. My second accordion is filled to the brim with 1+31 Studional.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin