Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,064   Online: 982

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

For Accordion Bottle Users

I am looking to purchase some accordion bottles to store my chemistry. For those of you who currently use them, where would be a good place to purchase them?

Thank you,
    Jamusu.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Freestyle has 1-liter Air-Evac ( http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5141-A...Bottle-1-Liter ) and 2-liter Air-Evac ( http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5142-A...Bottle-2-Liter ) bottles. I've never used them, though. i keep my chems in plastic water bottles and fill up any extra space in the bottles with glass marbles that I get from Hobby Lobby
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I remember reading somewhere here that accordion bottles infiltrate air(even though they dont leak liquids). Like most on APUG, I recycle drink bottles in 1 and 2 litre sizes. i also use pint and quart isopropyl alcohol and peroxide(brown) bottles, i even reuse the gallon jugs my deionized water comes in. Storing the contents in a dark cabinet suffices in place of dark containers.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    If you asked 10 people here I’ll bet most of them would tell you to reconsider the use of accordion bottles. I could be wrong. It might make a good poll. I tried one one time, but now fall into the forget it camp.

Air infiltration through plastic (or any barrier) is linearly proportional to the difference in pressure between the two sides of the barrier. Therefore, the best thing you can do is to fill a bottle to the brim and make sure it isn't capped under negative pressure. The accordion bottles I've looked at cause a significant negative pressure and the flexible plastic joints would eventually weaken and become suspect. Furthermore, the plastic they are made of isn't that great when it comes to being a good air infiltration barrier. PET plastic is much better. The PET material used in soda bottles is so flexible that squeezing out a little air probably doesn't result in much negative pressure. That, and the fact that they are made of PET, is undoubtedly the reason most people go that route. Soda bottle caps, however, aren't made out of PET and because of this some people use a layer of Saran Wrap under the cap. As a plastic, Saran is one of the best as far as air infiltration is concerned; right up there, or better than, PET.

One thing people need to be careful of when reusing bottles is to pay particular attention to the bottle cap lining. Linings are designed based on the class of chemical to be stored in the bottle (i.e. different strokes for different folks). Most general purpose photographic bottles use some sort of high density plastic that is acceptable (but not necessarily optimal) for any application. When reusing a non-photographic bottle, make sure the lining of the cap is compatible with what you are using it for.

Denis K
    Last edited by Denis K; 10-28-2009 at 12:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamusu View Post
    I am looking to purchase some accordion bottles to store my chemistry. For those of you who currently use them, where would be a good place to purchase them?

Thank you,
    Jamusu.
    As Denis said, reconsider. They are very hard to clean and not worth the trouble in my opinion. To start with, they are not very compressible. Since I don't like to mess with glass marbles or gas to minimize the air in the bottle, I do the following:

For reusable chemicals (paper developer for example), I just make sure to top the bottle up with some water after pouring the chemical back into the bottle. For one-shot chemicals, I switch to a smaller container as soon as it is convenient. It helps to keep 5, 2, 1, 0.5 and 0.25l bottles around!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm

Don't bother

Quote Originally Posted by Denis K View Post
    If you asked 10 people here I’ll bet most of them would tell you to reconsider the use of accordion bottles. I could be wrong. It might make a good poll. I tried one one time, but now fall into the forget it camp...
    I'm one of those who say "forget about them". Fizzy drink bottles are ok for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like them, so it must be wrong....

I use them (Freestyle AP, 1 ltr) for my C41. I go through shooting peaks and valleys with this stuff, and my chems don't get used for 4-8 week stretches. These bottles work well at keeping the air out and being submirged in a warm watter bath (when time to get used). I've only had one falure and I'm pretty sure it was due to not using the stuff for 6 months.

I notice no thinning of walls or air leaks. They work fine.

The only other chems I use are WD2D+, Rodinal, HC110, Stop and FIX. These do not need anything special. I just use regular bottles.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    They are very hard to clean and not worth the trouble in my opinion.
    I had forgotten that part Ralph. You are bringing back bad memories. I'm shuddering!

Denis K

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used them for years - but not for long periods. I'll put used paper developer and fixer in them that I know I'll use within a few days or up to a week. If I anticipate longer than a week or so I dump the chems; similarly, if it's much longer than a week when I get back to them I just dump them and re-mix a working strength batch. I've used the same Falcon ones for 25 years or so now and haven't had any issues. That said I don't use them for long-term storage.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for the advice.

Jamusu.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin