Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,168   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tri-X at CVS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    CVS in Los Angeles near UCLA also stock Tri-X 400 135-24. Again at a higher price than Bel-Air camera [which is closer to the campus] or Samys.

steve
    I have checked several dozen CVS stores from Florida to SC to NC to NJ to MA and every one has a few rolls of Tri-X in stock. I try to buy one a month.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah the Long's near my house which is now CVS carried Tri-X, haven't been in since they change hands. I buy Tri-x 36 exposure for $4.00 a roll at Calumet here in San Francisco so it might be hard to buy it from CVS.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The CVS prices quoted probably reflect the sort of reasonable profit margin that drugstores enjoy when they sell most of their other products.

As much as we may enjoy low prices, I wonder if more of the analogue products we enjoy would be more easily available if prices like this were more typical.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm

Elite Chrome 200

Look who has Elite Chrome 200:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/sho...moveFacet=null

And Tri-X.

CVS.com

Not cheap though. Tri-X is twice the retail price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every CVS I have ever been in stocks Tri-X and BW400CN. They used to stock Kodachrome and Elite Chrome as well, but I don't see them any more. I do not buy my Tri-X there as a matter of course, but the fact that they carry it has come in handy on a handful of occasions when I needed b/w film late at night on the way somewhere. I think it is about $7 for 24 exposures. If not on the way somewhere in a rush, PIX, a 24-hour film/photo rental house that also has a film counter, will open up their door for you if you call them. I got some 4x5 Tri-X for my Speed Graphic there at 1 a.m. one night, and loaded up the holders in a changing bag.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Our Long's carried disposable cameras. Last time I was in for a prescription refill at the new CVS, I looked and they had Tri-X. Someone high up on the food chain at CVS must love Tri-X, because I can't imagine they are selling much of it. There is no way the average film shooter left today knows they can't just drop this off for processing...but I guess I don't know that CVS doesn't offer silver development...do they?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So Buy Some!

Quote Originally Posted by stealthman_1 View Post
    Our Long's carried disposable cameras. Last time I was in for a prescription refill at the new CVS, I looked and they had Tri-X. Someone high up on the food chain at CVS must love Tri-X, because I can't imagine they are selling much of it. There is no way the average film shooter left today knows they can't just drop this off for processing...but I guess I don't know that CVS doesn't offer silver development...do they?
    I think they still carry Tri-X because it was part of the service agreement with the Kodak Kiosks for thier one hour service. I seriously doubt they did any B&W development in any CVS I've ever seen. But the send out service should have handled it.

As far as being surprised they have it, and everyone groaning about the price, everybody just go *BUY* one lousy roll.

Is it a bargain? Heck no. But I'll tell you that the next time you want to pickup two rolls of B&W at 2:30am you'll be glad they still carry it. If *NOBODY* buys it, then it will go away.

In my neck of the woods it's about $8/24-roll. Not cheap, but one roll every few weeks won't break the bank. Give up lunch at McD's one day for it.

If you can't afford one per month, then buy one per quarter. If you can't afford one per quarter, then just buy one and quit with that.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every CVS I have looked at has had Tri-X. They use to all sell Elite Chrome 200 too.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I think they still carry Tri-X because it was part of the service agreement with the Kodak Kiosks for thier one hour service. I seriously doubt they did any B&W development in any CVS I've ever seen. But the send out service should have handled it.

As far as being surprised they have it, and everyone groaning about the price, everybody just go *BUY* one lousy roll.

Is it a bargain? Heck no. But I'll tell you that the next time you want to pickup two rolls of B&W at 2:30am you'll be glad they still carry it. If *NOBODY* buys it, then it will go away.

In my neck of the woods it's about $8/24-roll. Not cheap, but one roll every few weeks won't break the bank. Give up lunch at McD's one day for it.

If you can't afford one per month, then buy one per quarter. If you can't afford one per quarter, then just buy one and quit with that.
    If it does go away, it will but slowly.

The Tri-X at my neighborhood CVS is 2+ years expired. Which is just about right given the usual level of attention displayed by CVS employees. It only costs $6 for 24 exposures, perhaps because the pricing is as dated as the film.

I actually know of a convenience store in Arlington, VA that (until it burned under suspicious circumstances in 2008) still carried Kodak disc film complete with "Proud Sponsor of the 1992 Winter Olympics" livery.

I'd rather give my money to Freestyle. If they fold, I can just about forget about buying B&W enlarging paper on this side of the Atlantic ocean...
    Last edited by aldevo; 12-18-2009 at 08:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling typo error
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    35mm
    I have seen Tri-x at CVS too. I walked through a CVS yesterday and they also had Fuji Acros and two types of slide film. I sincerely doubt that they sell them since it was a store without a photo counter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin