Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,635   Online: 870

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314151617 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Not so if you are building on an inexpensive woodturning lathe. There are some models that cost less new than you can build a platform yourself. It's pretty common for the pulley compartment to have a hatch on the back to facilitate changing speeds, you can mount an outboard motor on quite a few of these to replace the stock motor, I've seen a few for sale reworked like this. A water bath can be mounted on the bed of the lathe, depth depending on the size of the lathe. A 10 inch lathe like I have would allow 5 inches of clearance from the spindle to the bed, plenty of room for a 4 inch deep tray. Harbour Freight sells a really cheap lathe with a 14 inch swing which would get you a good six inch deep tank. A little searching on Craigslist or the local want ads might come up with some suitable candidates.
    Problems with the craigslist lathes is that there not standardised and will hence be hard to replace when they fail. Parts for cheap lathes will probably also be a problem and cheap lathes will generally be a bad lathe (shorter life-span). So if we follow the cheap lathe route we end up we're the OP is today.

Spinning around a 30"x40" material will probably require more than 4" of tray, don't you think

Also I rather turn a potentiometer than changing gear belts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Not so if you are building on an inexpensive woodturning lathe. There are some models that cost less new than you can build a platform yourself. It's pretty common for the pulley compartment to have a hatch on the back to facilitate changing speeds, you can mount an outboard motor on quite a few of these to replace the stock motor, I've seen a few for sale reworked like this. A water bath can be mounted on the bed of the lathe, depth depending on the size of the lathe. A 10 inch lathe like I have would allow 5 inches of clearance from the spindle to the bed, plenty of room for a 4 inch deep tray. Harbour Freight sells a really cheap lathe with a 14 inch swing which would get you a good six inch deep tank. A little searching on Craigslist or the local want ads might come up with some suitable candidates.
    Crap! I just flashed on a 40 HP Mercury outboard!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Crap! I just flashed on a 40 HP Mercury outboard!
    Thats what I'm talkin about!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think anyone(maybe I missed it) suggested CL, but $300-$500 should get a decent quality wood lathe NEW.
    He's not on a shoestring budget but building a prototype could be done from CL. Standardization would be with new product. Hell, you could even take a cheapy & put roller bearings & a solid shaft into it.
    I don't know if Grainger supplies has a Canadian outlet, but they got lots of stuff in the catalog
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    Problems with the craigslist lathes is that there not standardised and will hence be hard to replace when they fail. Parts for cheap lathes will probably also be a problem and cheap lathes will generally be a bad lathe (shorter life-span). So if we follow the cheap lathe route we end up we're the OP is today.

Spinning around a 30"x40" material will probably require more than 4" of tray, don't you think

Also I rather turn a potentiometer than changing gear belts.
    That might be, but theres way more of these built than Jobos and at the speed they will be turning would be a vastly underused capacity. I dare say the cheapest wood lathe on the market is a hundred times as strong as a Jobo unit. You won't break it.
    And who says you are going to be changing belts? You can put a speed control on darn near anything. A reduction gear motor from Graingers mounted up with a speed control .and you would be set for life.
    And a 30 inch circumference works out to less than 10 inches. Theres plenty of full sized wood lathes with over 12" of swing. It's do-able.
    I think with a magnetic coupler like the CPE units employ upsized to handle the load would make this a fairly user friendly machine.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the main problems with adapting a lathe or any other piece of similar machinery is that the materials they are made of are not resistant to photo chemicals. I have produced amazing amounts of rust on stainless steel which was not type 316. Anything other than this material is not even worth experimenting with except plastic.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not use a lathe myself, but a purpose build system, driven by a servo or stepper motor. Adapting is fine for a one off, hobbyist approach, but Bob's requirements are essentially 5 nines or better up time, a stepper has no brushes and typically run for decades without as much a hint of needing service.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..ill bet you could get every part needed here; http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

dw

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Folks
    I can't thank you enough for all the new ideas , I am starting to envision a way to quickly add the tempered chemicals via a pump like the replenisher pumps on my processors , I need to get 1-2 litres , depending upon tank size quickly into the tank , lets say faster than one could pour.

We will bounce the ideas off this group to see any flaws, improvements or observations after we meet later this month.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing more about quality stepper motors. I have a very heavy duty LASER engraver, manufactured in the USA.

When I bought it, it was almost twice the cost of the competition, but the quality of the electronic controlling software and hardware and stepper motors, is something else. That machine, is the best thing I have ever purchased to make money with.

After reading the latest additions to the thread and also from following it from day one, I have some food for thought.

I just did some back of the envelope calculations regarding the stepper motors in my machine, which has three stepper motors. The absolute minimum annual directional changes the least used stepper motor does, is approximately 1,036,800 in a calender year.

This machine is almost 15 years old and I have replaced the wiring looms twice on this stepper motor in this time frame, but the motor itself, just keeps on running. By the way the accuracy this motor steps to is 1/300th of an inch for about 80% of the work, and 1/600th of an inch for the other 20%.

When doing circular cuts the motors turn the bed and cutting head arrangement at a speed, which interestingly, is about the speed of the 2500 Jobo drums. This was something I had thought about if the LASER machine broke down totally.

The varied opposition manufacturers to this machine in it's day, are virtually dead and buried. Essentially the early LASER machines ran cheap stepper motors, mine were sourced from about the best the USA could produce.

Whilst a lot of people around the world, myself included, often rubbish the quality of a lot of American stuff, when they build really good stuff, nothing beats them. They may equal them, but I rarely have heard of them being beaten.

I would humbly suggest that once you have a prototype up and running and know where you are heading, then quality stepper motors will be running easily, day in, day out, decade in, decade out.

Mick.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Go home to sleep and look what happens..

Elevator is not on a strict budget on this, rather we would like to build it tough right from the start . The first one will give us the opportunity to run a few hundred rolls and a bunch of sheet film to gage how well it operates and look for glitches.
    I am still using each days my Omega's , Durst and Deveere enlargers and they date back over 25 years.. Just replace the bulbs and make sure aligned and start printing.
    Now thats what I am talking about.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin