Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,483   Online: 854

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I think the largest sheet of film will be 30inch by 40inch and the tube will be 40 or longer inches.
    I am not so sure that this device in my mind now is sitting in a tray but I am now thinking the rollers are various widths along the length to handle odd shape jobo tanks**more than one run of 120 film going at once, very robust, and replacable for different size tubes.
    I have 16x20 inch tanks now and have used 1litre in them for development, I am thinking the larger tubes will hold 2-3 litres of chemicals for each run, so the roller design and motors/drive shaft driving them should be very robust.

Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    Problems with the craigslist lathes is that there not standardised and will hence be hard to replace when they fail. Parts for cheap lathes will probably also be a problem and cheap lathes will generally be a bad lathe (shorter life-span). So if we follow the cheap lathe route we end up we're the OP is today.

Spinning around a 30"x40" material will probably require more than 4" of tray, don't you think

Also I rather turn a potentiometer than changing gear belts.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Richard

I am thinking that there is the possibility that the chems will not touch the rollers as all the dump and fill will go on a side tank near the processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    One of the main problems with adapting a lathe or any other piece of similar machinery is that the materials they are made of are not resistant to photo chemicals. I have produced amazing amounts of rust on stainless steel which was not type 316. Anything other than this material is not even worth experimenting with except plastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so bob,

why not just make a bigger, stronger version of a jobo CPP2 without the lift mechanism? and if you're using the cog heads in place of the magnetic bases(standard connection without lift), all you'd have to change is the connection to the motor. you could just have a motor control set to a set # of rotations, it would slow down, and reverse, all on its own. I'm thinking an electric, or why not just build it JUST like the Jobo, but with better quality parts, that are readily available off the shelf?

like this one, just double the length... and made of stainless steel

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob,
    I had a Dupont 24" lith processor; every thing type 316 stainless. When I scrapped it after 12 years; no rust anywhere. I had 36 x 48 non 316 stainless tanks with rust just about everywhere (outside) after having them for a couple of years. No big deal as they were old when I got them. Just the acid in the air was enough. One day I mixed 5 gallons of Dupont fixer with hardener containing aluminum chloride. Next morning there was a 1/2" band of rust above the liquid level.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Dan

At this point , with so many ideas floating around its going to take Richard and I some time to sort through the references from every one here , then look at my working space, then we will have a better idea what would be the best solution.
    One thing about the cogs,or attachment,
    I envision more than one tank rolling on the base at one time.. PE suggestion of the basket system reminded me about how easy it was to do larger amounts of film in one run.
    With a single cog then I am limited to one run at a time, but with long rollers turning the tanks it is feasable to run more than one tank at a time.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    so bob,

why not just make a bigger, stronger version of a jobo CPP2 without the lift mechanism? and if you're using the cog heads in place of the magnetic bases(standard connection without lift), all you'd have to change is the connection to the motor. you could just have a motor control set to a set # of rotations, it would slow down, and reverse, all on its own. I'm thinking an electric, or why not just build it JUST like the Jobo, but with better quality parts, that are readily available off the shelf?

like this one, just double the length... and made of stainless steel

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so bob,

kind of like the motor bases with drive wheels underneath? I'd imagine that would be really simple to gear/belt up...

if you had 2-3/4? bases, all in a 40x50 sized tray(stainless), with a timer for each above, I'd imagine it to be quite simple. Or, you could do a tiered system, with 3-4 tanks going in a vertical formation, taking up less sq. footage.

but you've had a lot of great suggestions here, so it might take a while for you guys to sort through everything.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FIY - After an earlier lead in this thread, I contacted Fotoimpex about the availability of a new CPP-2 and they informed me that they are sold out.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Folks

Richard and I have just finished our meeting and going to lunch now.

We are set in a plan and he is going to start putting a shopping list together for me of parts and timers.
    It was a good meeting and our mandate is to make a very Robust, very simplistic system all with off the shelf parts.

I will be meeting again with him late Jan and we should have most of the prototype put together by then to runs some film.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey bob,

make sure to post some pictures! Have you decided on a name for it yet?

hope you had a merry christmas!

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "very simplistic system all with off the shelf parts."

Is that parts available today or in 20 years time?

Cheers Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin