Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,803   Online: 1064

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Good Point

I will make sure that once all 4 units are built , I will then stock up on extra parts to last until the days of the *depends filling up.*

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dawson View Post
    "very simplistic system all with off the shelf parts."

Is that parts available today or in 20 years time?

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, if you are interested in doing a microcontroller approch, get in touch with John Day. He works out in Georgetown a few days a week, and at home other days, and does other electronics and control design jobs on the side. He lives down in Leslieville, and has lots of experience in electrical control design and fiddling with microcontrollers and computer interfacing. Look up John Day CPI on LinkedIn, or give hime a call (4) 461-2573.

I spoke to him while over at his place on new years eve, and outlined your fix to Jobo dumping effective support for NA. He said the project sounded interesting,a nd something that he could take on. I outlined that the job was an 'open source' type project so that any and all could benefit from the design work being done.

Back in his pre university days quite some years ago he was up on photography and processing his own colour material in the early 70's , so photography variables to control in development are not something that you would have to teach this guy. He elected to chase electrical enginering through uni, and put the photographer/lab tech career to the side.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://translate.googleusercontent.c...EzizJVnCnWeUtQ Bob, this link has some ideas for you too... Some folks in China are already looking into this!!
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Bob, if you are interested in doing a microcontroller approch, get in touch with John Day. He works out in Georgetown a few days a week, and at home other days, and does other electronics and control design jobs on the side. He lives down in Leslieville, and has lots of experience in electrical control design and fiddling with microcontrollers and computer interfacing. Look up John Day CPI on LinkedIn, or give hime a call (4) 461-2573.

I spoke to him while over at his place on new years eve, and outlined your fix to Jobo dumping effective support for NA. He said the project sounded interesting,a nd something that he could take on. I outlined that the job was an 'open source' type project so that any and all could benefit from the design work being done.

Back in his pre university days quite some years ago he was up on photography and processing his own colour material in the early 70's , so photography variables to control in development are not something that you would have to teach this guy. He elected to chase electrical enginering through uni, and put the photographer/lab tech career to the side.
    Trust me, as a former embedded systems engineer it massively pains me to say this, but the microcontroller approach may be more trouble than it's worth.

Computers are verrrrrry cheap, whereas tragically displays/lights/good quality switches will probably wind up being the most expensive components of (the electronic aspects of) your build.

You may be better off building a very simple interface to the hardware that lets you control it from a computer. That way you can have effectively 'infinite' control over processing, and you don't waste your budget on buttons and lights...

A simple USB interface which let the computer control the motors/valves/etc. would be trivial to cobble together. You may even find you can use an existing off-the-shelf device such as this...

http://www.metis-products.co.uk/USBRelayController.shtm

...and the user interface for your processing machine can run on a cheap-as-chips laptop or something, and be written in Visual Basic by any half competent programmer.

Still, if you do go the embedded microcontroller route - use an Intel 8051 series device will ya? For old times' sake for me .
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure if this is the same as the Chinese guys linked above (link don't work) chinese processor mfr
    Prices not too bad, but considering they have no level of automation or no lift mechanism they are not much more useful than a sink with a fish tank heater. I am too very interested in in open source processors but not having an training in electronics or motors it would demand too much of my photo time to do. It seems that there are people out there that could rattle off the schematics for this type of thing over a cup of coffee.
    I've seen many diy projects that seem great but just reading about them takes up too much of my time, time I should be using to take pictures. The whole idea for me having a processor is to save money/time.
    But I do love the idea of a diy processor kit, a booklet identifying parts and how to assemble like a mechano set running from a pc-usb together with my LED enlarger head.
    Can an automated processor be a cheap thing to purchase with off the shelf parts?
    Nathaniel McMahon - Art Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Bob,
    I've got a machine shop contact in Newmarket I do control systems work for occassionally. Between the two of us we could pretty well build/repair most things, although I can't say it would be inexpensive.

As for the controls, any AB PLC off ebay will do (or buy new from the local distributor). There are many many electricians / engineers around the Toronto area (including me) that can program it.

Anthony.
    Last edited by antoinek; 01-13-2010 at 10:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Has anyone ever considered or actually built some sort of device that would allow the jobo lift to be used on it's own? The lift itself is super handy having used one once. I can't remember if the drum can spin freely when attached to the lift.... can anyone answer that for me? I have been thinking of ways to utilize the lift and my expert drums without the actual processor. Let me know if anyone has any experience with this or at least some ideas.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

jobo is on its last legs

the CPP2 can be purchased brand new in Germany albeit with 220v power requirement; I have not read all the threads on this topic but purchasing a new machine while they are available is a much better option than trying to re engineer the product. I recently purchased a black unit (allegedly the last production) and am keeping it in storage in case my current CPP2 becomes unrepairable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordke View Post
    Has anyone ever considered or actually built some sort of device that would allow the jobo lift to be used on it's own? The lift itself is super handy having used one once. I can't remember if the drum can spin freely when attached to the lift.... can anyone answer that for me? I have been thinking of ways to utilize the lift and my expert drums without the actual processor. Let me know if anyone has any experience with this or at least some ideas.
    The tank will not spin when the lift is raised...the attachment to the gog gear is severed, to be reunited when the lift is lowered and the cog on the top of the tank re-engages with the turning "gog gear" that is powered by the motor...

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a lot of good info here. I'm not sure how much more I can contribute to this thread at this point but: Any machine shop can build the base to your drawings. From milling lift arms to turning pulleys and welding stainless tanks. The frustrating part is having expensive parts re made when a hole is off .02" because you forgot about a tiny detail. As many here have recommended, I see a great advantage to use stepper motors and NC programing from a cheap computer instead of cobbling a bunch of PIC's together. Lost of industrial automation equipment is built to NEMA standards, so replacement parts can be found globally from different manufactures. I would forget about using parts from automobiles. There are better alternatives available.
    photo.benmook.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin