Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,665   Online: 907

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 591011121314151617 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    UPDATE

We are now at the stage of gathering materials, we have ended up with a very simple design basically a Unicolor rotation system on steroids.

The rubber rollers with be 4ft two of them not in a water bath.
    They will be connected with a drive timing belt to a reversable drive motar that will have two times, small film rotation, large film rotation.

We are going to use a very simple timer to count down process time like the good old days. I believe that this will make my young technicans more aware of the process.

We will have a water bath unit just to the side, all chems will be in stainless steel graduates and our technicians will hand pour, twist and shout the film for the first 15-30 seconds and then place on the rollers at a stop position.

We will mimic our Jobo rotation duration as best we can.

We are adapting all our small tanks, to lie flat on the rollers, the 4x5 and larger tanks have already been adapted by Jobo.
    As long as the tank lies flat, you can get chems in fast this system will work for any tank system you have.

We should be able to run two or three runs at a time and if set up right two operators should be able to work side by side using two different graylab timers.

I believe that we will be able to handle very large projects and small one run projects .

We will still be using one shot chemistry for all steps , distilled water for PMK dev, final wetting agent rinse.
    First step will be to find out our new times, but if all works well we should be very close right off the bat.

Plans are to make 2 units with portable side units to hold in the very large drums.

film size 35mm Jobo tanks to 16x20 Jobo tanks, we will be making a drum for 20 inch roll film and 30 inch roll film.. largest size of film we will make is 30inch x 46inch.
    The large films are being made for alternative negatives and separation negatives, for platinum, carbon, and tricolour gum.
    We will be using the laser exposing unit for this and to date have found out it works with Rollie 25 ISO ortho film in HC110.

As this project moves forward , I will only be able to describe in detail on Hybrid.com this sister site as the front end will be digital and the back end wet process.

Very fun time.. Richard has been great and a wonderful , talented resource.

thanks Richard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob,

A couple of points: Firstly, it looks as though you've made excellent progress; I'll certainly be interested in the plans and design as you go along. Is the 30"x36" film being custom cut by ILFORD?, and are you exposing the film for alternative process via "electronic" means?

Second, yesterday my Jobo came up with the message 'air diffuser fault - end manually', and again refused to work today. Do you have any experience with this fault?

Tom

PS) It seems you don't accept APUG private messages?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For what it's worth, I'm going to be selling my MINT Jobo ATL-2300 soon here in NJ. Can't ship but its worth the drive. I'm not putting in classifieds just yet but felt this thread is ok because you seem to be in need and wanted to give you a heads up. I purchased this from a Police Lab in Detroit whereas they used it, according to them, only several times and I believe it.
    I hate selling but times warrant it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm going to be selling my MINT Jobo ATL-2300 soon here in NJ. Can't ship but its worth the drive. I'm not putting in classifieds just yet but felt this thread is ok because you seem to be in need and wanted to give you a heads up. I purchased this from a Police Lab in Detroit whereas they used it, according to them, only several times and I believe it.
    I hate selling but times warrant it.
    I suspect my unit had a good deal of use before I came into possession of it.

Tom

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Tom

I was told by the Harmon dealer in Canada that I would have to order 23 rolls of film , 30inch x100ft . To beta test this was too much of a risk for me, If it did not work I was not sure what to do with 22 rolls of film.
    I found Rollie ISO 25 which cut a 43 inch x100ft roll into two 20inch x100ft for around $1800.00
    Yes I am exposing by electronic means- Lambda.

Regarding the fault, I would imagine we have seen every problem, but I am not the technician as I hire him privately to keep my Jobo's alive. Sorry I cannot help you here.
    I am down to one Alt 3 and I hope it lasts long enough to get me to the point of using my new system.

The Jobo's owe me nothing , paid for many times over .

You can email me , but you are right I turned off the pm years ago.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Bob,

A couple of points: Firstly, it looks as though you've made excellent progress; I'll certainly be interested in the plans and design as you go along. Is the 30"x36" film being custom cut by ILFORD?, and are you exposing the film for alternative process via "electronic" means?

Second, yesterday my Jobo came up with the message 'air diffuser fault - end manually', and again refused to work today. Do you have any experience with this fault?

Tom

PS) It seems you don't accept APUG private messages?

Gaseous burst processing works like a champ and it has only one moving part - a solenoid valve. I talked to the manufacturer of these valves and they test them for over 100,000 cycles and they keep on going long after that. Nitrogen sure ain't going away anytime soon.

I am just looking at this as solving a fundamental business problem of developing film as effectively and efficiently as possible as for 40 + years this technique was the professional standard.

That said I was talking to the folks at DR5 here in Denver that has standardized on rotary processing. Talk to Dave Wood.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have done both, last 14 years on rotary maybe 20 thousand runs, pretty well set in mind for rotary.
    I did look into a dip dunk machine with nitrogen burst for large film and paper a couple of years back. Oversize tanks and lift systems, would work perfectly, but quoted 130k to make.

Gaseous burst processing is great if the burst is controlled from top to bottom for even density across grey fields.. This is in fact very hard to do on large tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Gaseous burst processing works like a champ and it has only one moving part - a solenoid valve. I talked to the manufacturer of these valves and they test them for over 100,000 cycles and they keep on going long after that. Nitrogen sure ain't going away anytime soon.

I am just looking at this as solving a fundamental business problem of developing film as effectively and efficiently as possible as for 40 + years this technique was the professional standard.

That said I was talking to the folks at DR5 here in Denver that has standardized on rotary processing. Talk to Dave Wood.

Shooter
    35mm
    130K!!!!!...ooops......but i guess it is justified because they wont be certainly mass producing it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I thought it was a great idea, until they gave me the price.
    I think this would take probably 20 - 40 years to pay off. I am not sure I will be around that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by F80p View Post
    130K!!!!!...ooops......but i guess it is justified because they wont be certainly mass producing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Out of the five we have at school, 3 are still running. I had them all going at the same time yesterday. Keep us all posted as this is still fresh in many people's minds.

Michael Slade

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin