Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,481   Online: 902

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about the "Elevator" processor?

Why waste a good opportunity for publicity?

Alternatively, maybe Sean would let you call it an "APUG".

Matt

Bob....sincere thanks for taking on the project. Many of us here wait for news of the new machine. Please keep us informed.

Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Having followed this thread and being an ageing ATL-2+ owner (in both senses of the word) aren't you trying to re-invent the wheel to some extent ?

These Jobo machines when new were ultra reliable and only usage and age have bought on various failures/unreliabilty. To me (and I'm often wrong) it seems like some are saying "My 1980's Buik car is getting very unreliable and parts are getting hard to find so I'm going to design a new car made from mainly Buik parts"

Instead would it not be better to concentrate our efforts on finding 'alternative suppliers' of spare parts to keep the Jobo processors running?

To my mind there is no processor to currently replace the facilities of the ATL-2 and as such why try and BUILD a replacement?
    I (personally) would appreciate sources of spare/equivilent parts to keep my current processor working rather than trying to re-design it.

Comments/bashing welcome.

Cheers Dave

ps...All spelling mistakes are deliberate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Bob;

The back and forth rotation is essential, so if you use a lathe, it must have this same type of reversal in the rotation. If you keep going in one direction, you will get uneven development.

PE
    I think this got a little sidetracked with the question of reversing motors, etc.
    Unless I am mistaken, I think rather than reversing the motors, a simple rocker cam assembly could achieve the same effect.

Don't take my word for it, though... I'm even less mechanically inclined than Bob.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, the rocking action will not compensate for the back and forth action. There is a wave set up by the back and forth that destroys linear flow that rocking may not. If it does not, then the process will develop streaks in thee direction of turn.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    AFAIK, the rocking action will not compensate for the back and forth action. There is a wave set up by the back and forth that destroys linear flow that rocking may not. If it does not, then the process will develop streaks in thee direction of turn.

PE
    Sorry, PE. I should have been more clear. What I had in mind was indeed a rocker cam type of assembly, but one wherein the "rocking" is translated to a rotation of the tanks. (Damn, I keep thinking of a washing machine... I think I should shut up now. )
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just did a little test of my CPP and came up with the following speeds:
    For one direction motion - F=34.5rpm, 3=54rpm, 4=71rpm and P=83rpm
    Bidirectional motion is a little harder to explain since it doesn't quite do two full revolutions (maybe 690 degrees) before reversing, but if you take that into account the number of reversals of direction per minute are: F = 16, 3 = 22, 4 = 25 and P = 26 which seems to be showing that the slow down, change direction, speed up phase is a real limiter on the average speed obtainable when using the reversing mode.

This was done without a drum attached, obviously the weight of the drum (and contents) and the drag of the water in the tempering bath could make a difference. I guess a 3005 with a litre of water would provide a worst case scenario to test that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice and constructive thread.

Not very good at finding names, I just try with "DeDe" as "The Definitive Developer". Definitive in the sense that spare parts should be easily available everywhere and so the name should reflect the main merit of the machine, solving the "spare-parts angst". Variants: DeDe Machine, DeDeDiY Machine, etc.

Or maybe a Koco machine. This is just Jobo with consonants raised by 1 place in alphabetical order (J + 1 = K, B + 1 = C), just like Stanley Kubric did with the HAL computer (which was derived by IBM the same way but by going backword).

I agree that probably a search for alternative parts would be easier to solve your particular problem, but a machine buildable everywhere with common parts would solve the problem in general, also for people with a different machine (or with no machine at all).

Good light
    Fabrizio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Jobo actually used a BMW wiper motor to drive their machines that's nice but I know other makers also use similar motors & it might be advantageous to work up a design that would use motors of similar but not identical physical size.
    Going back to the lathes a woodworking lathe would be more crude but also far less expensive. Sears or Harbor Freight will have something around $100.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bob,

what about NOBO (NO Jobo)

or FOBO (f*** Jobo)? I know its a bit raunchy, but it sure show's your distain for Jobo .

or, depending on how many processors you're going to have built, you can also give them sexy female names, say,

Lenore, Bridget, Brandy, Candy, etc.... hooker names, or sugar baby names .

just an idea, so each of your operators can refer to them by name, kind of like a boat .

-Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin