Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,434   Online: 791

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want there to be a wider possible market for this, it would be really good to be able to use them or convert them for use with Paterson tanks as well.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..looks like you have this resolved, good news! Sidekick will be good for your small film, it is a decent machine but limiting. The deal with the WL is that they already have off the shelf parts, so modification was very easy. The biggest film we run is 11x14 [dr5 & or negs or E6], but you are talking 'huge' film - 30x40. There are many labs closing down, tossing big film processors but to handle 30" wide would be tuff to find and or expensive to have made [D&D] let alone very costly to run. I think for this size + quality, the big drums are the best way to go.

regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Wing Lynch was going to be my salvation , then they went out of business, so I got a bit nervous as the WL technician for Ontario lives 100 miles away and now represents Chromira so good luck getting any attention from him.

I really at this point am not thinking about fixing the Jobo , I have a Alt 3 that works for now and I am going to put all my energy solving the larger picture which is how can I process all films to my satisfaction.

I at one point was going to modify a Refrema to take larger tanks to hold 30x34 sheets of film and paper and run everything through this device. It really is a good idea for all applications but the quote I got was over $120K and I really need to be a busier shop to see the return.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Another couple of small pieces of data after cracking my CPP open to have look:
    The motor does look like a wiper motor, but probably not BMW since it is 24V. The label on it is SWF 403.278 24V. SWF definitely make wiper motors and the number does look like their regular part number but I couldn't get a match when searching for it. SWF (SWF Auto-Electric GmbH) don't appear to have a website. I checked a couple of sites for prices of similar SWF units and they were in the $200 - $300 range so an entirely different sort of motor would probably be a better & cheaper idea. Interestingly, most wiper motors are two speed units running at around 35 & 50rpm which is lower than the speeds recommended for expert and 25xx drums.

The label on the pump was marked as follows: Heidolph Typ 107.10.00007 240v 50hz. Again, I wasn't able to find an exact match and Heidolph seem to concentrat on laboratory equipment now so they may not even manufacture this type of pump any more. It should be relatively easy to determine the required flow rate for an alternative pump.

It needs to be noted that my CPP is an early model (serial 21xxx) so the upgraded motor in the later ones may be quite different.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    joke , the frenchman is a good friend , I insult all my friends
    have a nice day
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunthos View Post
    Aren't we touchy today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    ..., I insult all my friends
    All two of them!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thanks for the names , so far I like FOBO from Daniel as it does reflect my feelings.

Regarding finding parts, I really think this one is out of the question as I am not thinking of slowly walking into the sunset but rather I believe we will be processing more and more film.. Just think of it APUG is an oasis of luddites who still put film in mechanical cameras, Most labs I would not include DR5 in this statement are willing to drop their film production when it becomes less profitable, I think Dave and I share the same love of film photography and have learned how to build little niche businesses providing film processing. We are becoming more busy because there still is a group of people wanting to expose images the way some of the masters of the past. This will indeed force them to put film in their cameras and hopefully then seek out Labs like Elevator or DR5 to process the film. Shrinking market for sure but less operators willing to produce first rate film process.
    I also believe I have figured out a way to make large film for alternative processes that Elevator wants to persue which will indeed put pressure on the equipment and operators to finish.
    Has anyone here tried to replace a lift arm or a water pump for an Alt 2300 or Alt 3? No easy task and btw just try to order the parts and see what happens. I guess if I was located in Europe I would feel different as there probably is a easier way of getting parts and service.
    Also like any piece of equipment is there not a 7 year parts availability after the machines are no longer made. Where are we on this with Jobo machines.

I plan to put a lot of stress on my equipment with large tanks , probably lots of chemicals and quite frankly the old equipment that I have will not be up to the task.

I am meeting with Richard and Peter here in Toronto Dec 27 or 28 and try to sort out problems/ideas/suggestions to build a prototype by Feb if we can.

I am pretty sure that the main problem will be the different tank configuration and keeping the film level while rotation is on. Each tank is different and the very large tanks will be different again and this is where things may bog down.** possible different rubber roller widths and shapes to hold the tank level , the rollers would be raised and geared at the end to allow different tanks to sit properly**

I really like the idea posted early in this thread with the unit separate from the controls, I envision a very robust base with possible water bath hooked up to the tempering device to keep the chems in . These units will take up a bit of space but for the first unit I have enough room, Once we go to four units then I will probably have to build a dedicated film room .
    Also by having large, large rollers we should be able to run a few runs at a time and any old timers here who did dip and dunk in baskets will remember starting the timer for the longest roll time , start the process and watch the timer and then pop in the next longest roll time and continue popping in film until the run was finished.

I am sure this was what PE was alluding too in his post about baskets and nitrogean burst. In the day any basket line with a competent operator could easily out perform my Jobo's, the only problem was keeping an operator interested day in day out to perform this at peak levels, in fact that is why I went to Jobo's in the first place and was Jobo's marketing pitch for people to buy them.
    I think I should be able to do the same thing with this new device with my young operators who have the hand eye co-ordination to make this happen.

Keep the ideas coming , we are not going to salvage the old machines , except make the unit work with the different tubes or tanks we have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are the automated Jobo machines, like the ATL 2300 higher quality than the smaller semi-manual Jobo machines like the CPE?

I have had a couple a Jobo CPE machines, and quite frankly they are is very flimsy. In fact I am tempted to call that instrument a piece of junk, quality wise, especially considering the prices they charged for them when they were new. I also have a photo-therm, and the quality on that machine is an order of magnitude better than the Jobo. However, as I am sure you all know, the Photo-therm will only do film, not prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    the Photo-therm will only do film, not prints.
    I've heard good things about the Photo-Therm but I have never seen one for sale - not even on the German site.! Maybe they are rare?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Renato
    The plant is in New Jersey, they may have refurbs there.
    Their product is called a sidekick .
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I've heard good things about the Photo-Therm but I have never seen one for sale - not even on the German site.! Maybe they are rare?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Huge price difference! :o
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin