Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,238   Online: 821

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Readyloads came quite late so they are relatively new, a mid 80's introduction, they were relatively expensive compared to plain sheet film, I won't miss them at all.

The films I really want to use were never available, carrying Darkslides is no big issue but when I still shot LF colour then the Polaroid (Fuji) 100D was useful, the failure rate was an occasional problem, but the economics aren't right now for the film companies, sales have always been quite low now it uneconomic.

If someone were to make a new alternative to a Grafmatic back that would be different, or a new styl self loadable film pack.

Ian

That thought, new "Grafmatic" backs, had occurred to me too. I would assume any patents have long expired. Doesn't look too complicated, but then I'm not an engineer. The only question I have is whether there would be enough demand, given there are still a fair number of the old ones out there. That said, and while I have a few Grafmatics, I'd buy some new ones and use the old ones as backups.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually there are old Patents that covered Ready loads too, and these idea go back at leats a century

IAn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's a woman in the UK working on an alternative version, she has posted on the LF Forum and I think here too. I've no idea how advanced she is with her progress.

Ian
    Considering the cost involved, it`s very unlikely. Read her last post HERE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So it's still ongoing, maybe . . . . . . . . .

A point we are missing, I think the Patent for Quickloads belonged to Polaroid, Kodak made them under license and there was an agreement between Fuji & Polaroid in the early days as Fuji supplied their 100D to be sod as Polaroid Readyloads. Someone is probably still collecting Royalties, Polaroid couldn't get a Patent for the film pack which is why Fuji could make compatibles,

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 12-21-2009 at 02:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gee wiz... another technology passing on before I ever got to try it out. Perhaps I'd better try d!g!t@l photography before that technology passes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Gee wiz... another technology passing on before I ever got to try it out. Perhaps I'd better try d!g!t@l photography before that technology passes.
    Brian,

no, if things die out before you try them, please leave digital photography alone

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's clear that Fuji responds only to competition. Had Kodak not been forced to discontinue ReadyLoad by the shutdown of Polaroid film manufacturing (it previously outsourced Readyload packaging to Polaroid), Fuji would have continued supplying Quickload. Without such "motivation," Fuji takes the easiest path.

Since I no longer do any color work on large format film or require the long-exposure reciprocity performance of Acros (and only put up with its intrusive drying hole in exchange for clean/convenient packets anyway), Fuji sheet film is now a thing of the past for me. Kodak and Ilford get my business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used Quickloads on short backpacking trips for their convenience. Too bad. All my B&W will now be Tri-X again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fuji did make a modern Grafmatic style holder called the "Quickchange" that could use preloaded cartridges of 8 sheets of film. It was quite expensive per sheet, wasn't sold officially outside of Japan (though Robert White and maybe Badger Graphics had them, and they could be ordered through Dirk's Megaperls side), and wasn't marketed as reloadable, but it apparently wasn't difficult to reload. I think there was a detailed page on f32.net that explained how to reload a Quickchange cartridge.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A new grafmatic or other system would be great, or maybe even just thinner film holders. A field camera isn't much bulkier than a rig like an rz, and having something that took more than 6 sheets would make it a more versatile piece of gear. Then again when I'm out with my speed graphic I'm more than ready to go home by the time I manage to shoot 6 sheets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin