Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,534   Online: 858

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Films I never got to use...

Here is a short list of films I never got to use (this is not meant to be an exhaustive list, I'm just listing the ones that I would like to have tried):

Panatomic-X
    Ektachrome 320 Tungsten
    Polaroid Type 55
    And, the real subject of this post:
    Scotch 1000 ISO? E-6 film, which reputedly had very attractive, "impressionist" grain structure.

If anyone has suggestions about imitating the Scotch E6 film, i.e. a high-speed color film, either E6 or C41, that gives noticeable grain, I'd love to hear ideas. Would pushing a normal E6 film to something way beyond reasonable (say from 200 to 1600) produce similar results? I rarely use color film faster than 200, except for the periodic roll of Fuji 800 C41, and my experience with pushing color film is limited.

Of course feel free to list your own "never got to use" films (or papers for that matter)!
    Last edited by rthomas; 01-04-2010 at 01:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added something...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use expired Fuji Superia 1600 from time to time...that's grainy to me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    If anyone has suggestions about imitating the Scotch E6 film, i.e. a high-speed color film, either E6 or C41, that gives noticeable grain, I'd love to hear ideas.
    I never used the Scotch but I once read that that film (or maybe Gaff 500) were used by Sarah Moon in her impressionist Pirelli Calender in 1972:

http://community.livejournal.com/fot...t/1754369.html

I once had a good few attempts at getting something like that look and the best I achieved was with Fuji Sensia 200 pushed three stops and shot through a Tiffen Pro Black Mist filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sarah Moon used GAF 500 back in the 70's, i think they even used one or more of her images in a GAF advert in the UK, the 3M (Scotch) film wasn't available then.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a lot I never got to try, but I imagine I'd still end up using HP5+ and 400NC at the end of the day. Tech Pan I think would have been fun, I'd have shot maybe 3 rolls of EIR if I had the chance, but there's nothing missing that would have made it for me.

Look at it this way - it doesn't matter what materials there are and aren't, if you never took the photo to begin with. That's the main part of it.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too would have like to try Panatomic-X.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did shoot a couple of rolls of Panatomic-X (I tended to use Pan-F in the day)... but the one film I never did shoot and wish I had was Kodak Super-XX.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd have liked to have tried 2475 Recording Film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pantamonic X that I used and still have the negs. is similar to Ilford's Pan F.

I also used Verichrome Pan.

I've got a series of books in binder and I refer to them every so often, nostalgia, and have "Kodak Professional Black & White Films," First Edition 1969. I see I paid a $1.50 for the book.

Really don't have any film I regret not using.

Nice question!
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You might try some velvia pushed to 800 in exposure and processing. I have shot velvia 50 before at 400 and had them push process it. It was very soft in appearance. Might be worth a try.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin