Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,646   Online: 854

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I should lock-up my copy whenever photographer/friends are visiting ;-) An extremely useful text. The fidelity of the image colors are so important to this work. Good luck with the reprint.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Images
    I went looking for this book not to long ago and was as disappointed as others to see it was not available.

The books put out by Lodima Press are supposedly nice-I have not seen one, too expensive-their publisher might be an option.

PDF from your site would be great. If you have the digital masters I would assume the illustrations and images are there. You could include suggestions for screenereolution etc...
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I went looking for this book not to long ago and was as disappointed as others to see it was not available.

The books put out by Lodima Press are supposedly nice-I have not seen one, too expensive-their publisher might be an option.

PDF from your site would be great. If you have the digital masters I would assume the illustrations and images are there. You could include suggestions for screenereolution etc...
    How would Tim make money this way?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    How would Tim make money this way?

Some sites have password protected PDF files that you purchase the password or else you cannot open the file

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    Some sites have password protected PDF files that you purchase the password or else you cannot open the file
    Does that mean you can only view the file at that site, or can you download it too?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Does that mean you can only view the file at that site, or can you download it too?
    Typically you can download the file and print it if you wish. There are all kinds of controls the content owners can put on PDF's if they wish and know how to do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So THAT'S the problem...I've been looking for a copy for a few weeks now, and yeah, I saw that one for $999. Impressive. I second the Lulu option, I've seen good end results from them, so I think they're worth investigating.
    The selling .PDFs option is also valid, but I for one hate reading from a computer screen. Painful after a while and you cant make little notes in the margins. So, if it came in PDF I'd have to have it printed and comb bound so I could read it anyways.
    I'd also give it about a week before people would be emailing it to eachother, but that's another problem.

Obviously there's demand for it, and it's your work so you should be able to profit from that. I think a good print-on-demand service makes the most sense.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    So THAT'S the problem...I've been looking for a copy for a few weeks now, and yeah, I saw that one for $999. Impressive. I second the Lulu option, I've seen good end results from them, so I think they're worth investigating.
    The selling .PDFs option is also valid, but I for one hate reading from a computer screen. Painful after a while and you cant make little notes in the margins. So, if it came in PDF I'd have to have it printed and comb bound so I could read it anyways.
    I'd also give it about a week before people would be emailing it to eachother, but that's another problem.

Obviously there's demand for it, and it's your work so you should be able to profit from that. I think a good print-on-demand service makes the most sense.
    I agree completely with Fleath. I just discovered this book and I'd LOVE a hard copy but I cannot pay $200 and up for it (not to mention that money does the author NO good). Sometimes it really sucks being late to the game

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is some time since I investigated PoD publishing. Even a couple of years ago paper quality was a huge drawback, but I believe that this is an area where great improvements have been made. You might find that though formatting the text should not be a problem, your images may need a lot of work to be optimized for this kind of publication. Also, investigate whether you can recieve a preview copy of the book. In the past many self-publishing dreams were let down by poor print quality.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with doughowk, the images and their quality make the book work. The text is great but the step wedges and photo images make it all understandable. If the quality can not be reproducted, I would only publish if the book was reformtulated so as to not depend on the images so much. Of course if the book can be sold for $999 a copy, how many need to be sold in order to break even?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin